Aspindale 892 float rod

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Gavlar

Aspindale 892 float rod

Post by Gavlar »

Hi guys, after a bit of a break from fishing and vintage tackle I've recently got back in to it and just bought an aspindale 892 12 foot float rod off the bay, now I know from this forum that it's a hollow built rod but not being an expert in such matters I was wondering if this will have much of an effect on the strength of the rod.
I plan to use it for some early tench fishing, also a bit of chub fishing when the rivers open again, one of my concerns is that where I fish for chub also has a fair head of barbel now if I hook in to one of these am I going to risk smashing it ! . It looks to be in good shape and the listing says recently restored by Black Country rod maker!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aspindale 892 float rod

Post by Nobby »

That'll be from Stu Middleton then. Surely the line you select will protect your rod from damage?...just keep it at 6lbs or below. Yes, these early Aspindales were more the match rods of their day and are weaker for being hollow-built as the walls are quite thin, but the main concern with them is that they are sometimes prone to de-lamination...the six strips coming unglued from one another. I'm sure Stu's new restorer would have spotted such a thing.

Gavlar

Post by Gavlar »

Thanks, yes I was planning on using line of around that strength anyway I just wanted to be sure the rod would be ok with it, obviously that depends on the rod itself though as I said it looks to be in good shape and regarding delamination I'm hoping anything like that would have been spotted

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have broken the tip section of my lovely Aero 892.Any recommendations as to who could make me a replacement? The first name that springs to mind is Andrew Davis about whom I have heard some very good reports. Its not urgent as I have other rods to use.
Mark Davies

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

ive just restored a 892, im a bit dissapointed with the very soft action on these rods,reckon a chub of 3lb is about its limit.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I did not break the tip section on a fish.A raft of weed about the size of a mini car attached itself to my line and before I could do anything,snap!!!
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Any suggestions?
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

This rod previously remained unscathed after a tussle with an 8lb Dearne common carp!
Mark Davies

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Give John Chapman a call as he might have a suitable tip. If you google Chapmans of Ware, his number's on the home page of the web site.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Thanks
Mark Davies

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”