My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

Post by Tengisgol »

Can anyone shed any light on this rod? I bought it (on a Buy It Now) on a total whim, having been really impressed with my other Aspindale rod.

It looks and feels lovely. It was a 'belonged to my Grandad but carefully stored indoors' case and I wasn't disappointed. I'd read (and seen) lots of delamination issues but there is no sign at all. It looks like it may have had a couple of extra coats of varnish in its life which to my mind is no bad thing. In conclusion, I reckon this will make a lovely tench rod to get over the margin lilys.

The writing clearly says, "The Aero no.893 Aspindale Astwood Bank Redditch" then no. 664. It cleverly uses the 'A' for both Aspindale and Astwood.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this rod please, it's year of make, previous experiences etc.?

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

Post by Catfish.017 »

Hi Tengisgol, I suspect the rod is probably hollow built. Does it say so on the butt? It sounds like the J.Peek and sons 13 footer I bought recently. My rod has a gentle action through the top third but one can feel the power coming in once it is really bent.It handled a three pound perch admirably last week and I'm sure it could comfortably cope with good tench , chub etc. It feels ok in the hand at first but last week having spent around ten minutes casting a lead to retrieve a favourite float my wrist was aching somewhat.the handle on mine is 27 inches but I tend to fix the reel about 6 or 7 inches down from the top as I hate having a foot or more of rod protruding backwards.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Catfish.017 wrote:Hi Tengisgol, I suspect the rod is probably hollow built. Does it say so on the butt? It sounds like the J.Peek and sons 13 footer I bought recently. My rod has a gentle action through the top third but one can feel the power coming in once it is really bent.It handled a three pound perch admirably last week and I'm sure it could comfortably cope with good tench , chub etc. It feels ok in the hand at first but last week having spent around ten minutes casting a lead to retrieve a favourite float my wrist was aching somewhat.the handle on mine is 27 inches but I tend to fix the reel about 6 or 7 inches down from the top as I hate having a foot or more of rod protruding backwards.
Thanks Catfish. I am pretty certain it is hollow built (at the butt section at least). I haven't weighed it but it seems reasonable for its length and full split cane but I see it more as a rod to sit in the rest in any case.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Peter Aspindale once said he thought all their rods were hollow-built, but I think this is a particularly early rod built by the firm set up by Peter's father and uncle; James ( Jas) and William.
It seems the Aero or Aerolite name was only used during this period. Founded in 1946 they soon parted and went their separate ways in 1949. James and his son Peter then re-formed the company and thenceforth used the new 'Dalesman' brand to differentiate them from the old enterprise.

Whilst the pre-Dalesman rods might not even have involved Peter there is no doubt that they too appear to be all hollow-built.

13 foot rods in such early days is a new one to me and indeed I've not heard of an 893 before, but it does fill the gap! We knew of 890, 891, 892, 894 and 896 rods.

I guess that makes it all the more certain there's an 895 out there somewhere....

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

Nobby wrote:Peter Aspindale once said he thought all their rods were hollow-built, but I think this is a particularly early rod built by the firm set up by Peter's father and uncle; James ( Jas) and William.
It seems the Aero or Aerolite name was only used during this period. Founded in 1946 they soon parted and went their separate ways in 1949. James and his son Peter then re-formed the company and thenceforth used the new 'Dalesman' brand to differentiate them from the old enterprise.

Whilst the pre-Dalesman rods might not even have involved Peter there is no doubt that they too appear to be all hollow-built.

13 foot rods in such early days is a new one to me and indeed I've not heard of an 893 before, but it does fill the gap! We knew of 890, 891, 892, 894 and 896 rods.

I guess that makes it all the more certain there's an 895 out there somewhere....
I wonder if this is what you are looking for Nobby sir?

11ft 2-piece with a 20" handle. I have fished mainly for Rudd with it, feels sublime, but alas has started to show a couple of the dreaded black lines. Will be restored by someone capable, and yes in case of fire the dog and good lady would be in the lower medal positions!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Jeez! Amazing what appears out of sheds and cupboards when you ask Nobby.
Some lovely examples there gents!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

According to the 1953 catalogue, it didn't exsist!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This is really exciting - so glad that I followed my whim and bought this one! Sounds like I have done well to avoid the delamination (so far).

It would be good to get a single list of these in one thread, if I get the chance I will pull that together.

Do we know what the 664 and 861 represent?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

And here's an 898 recently advertised on the bay and described as 12' three piece as follows :

NICE EARLY APINDALE BROTHERS PRE FALL OUT 898 THE AVON IN ORIGIONAL BAG AND WITH STOPPERS
BUTT 49",MID 49",TOP 49" AND CORK HANDLE 21"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

And on a roll. Here's an 897!

viewtopic.php?f=313&t=18028

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”