My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

Post by Nobby »

That's our current understanding, yes. Peter Aspindale once wrote that his uncle and father only worked together for those three years. And it's believed that it was during this period the Aero range was produced.

However ( isn't there always an however?) later rods made by Peter , his Father and Tony Croft, under the Dalesman range might also have been accompanied by rod designs from the earlier period. How else do we explain Tom Watsons Aero-Wizards and others from the Sixties?

There is also a Falcon range of rods with the same rod names, that look as though they are either a licensed copy or made by the same people...they too have Astwood bank on them, which is a small village just South of Redditch.

Tony Croft once wrote that the Dalesman brand was made at British Mills, prospect Hill, which is the very centre of current Redditch, so who was the Astwood Bank outfit? Ken Johnson who made all their ferrules until Tony Croft joined them in 1954?

Or might it be Tony Croft who started out on his own in Foregate Street in 1961 but was joined by Peter Aspindale in 1963?
This would, if it were true, date any rod bearing the town of Astwood Bank and the name Aspindale as post '63.

Peter and Tony made rod together until about 1969, as Tony has written that the partnership lasted 6 years. However ( another one) Tony has also written that he started working with Davenport and Fordham in 1967, so he may have meant he was in business for himself for 6 years and that Peter joined him for the last four.

Unfortunately, money troubles did for them at this point...and both lost their houses. Tony has written that Peter was once again office manager.

Peter later made rods himself under the same name, still using Aspindale and Sons, even though there was only one son and it was him! He'd been salesman and office manager under his Father, so it may be that he only started making rods himself after 1967 or 1969?

Peter afterwards lived in Redditch and later at least, had his workshop there, so I'm inclined to think that any 'Astwood Bank' rod is really a Tony Croft rod from between 1963 and 1967....even if it does have 'Aero' on it.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: My new Aspindale 13' Aero 893 three piece

Post by Nobby »

A serial number, perhaps? A few makers did use serial numbers, but it's uncertain why to be honest. Marco, Milwards and Hardy did, for example, but I don't recall Aspindale rods bearing one before.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”