Aspinindale-Suredale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Aspinindale-Suredale

Post by Penninelad »

Just arrived this morning,bought via Ebay for £43 plus P & P an Suredale with twin tops.It looks to be in original condition,but I am no expert and would welcome any information via TFF.The whippings appear to be in copper wire thoughout apart from the intermediates.In good order throughout and does it not need re-furbishing(or has it been refurbished already?).When assembled the both top sections appear to have been been made for the same butt and middle sections.The butt section is whole cane all the other sections are split cane.All sections are sraight.

I have read hat the actions of the Suredale was similar to an Avocet but as I have never used an Avocet so I am not in a position to know.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Aspinindale-Suredale

Post by Penninelad »

Photograph of all the sections

Mark Davies

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Handsome rods the Aspindales. Might have to dabble one day. No... No I mustn't... Especially if I ever want my kids to go to Uni.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Have a look just above the male ferrule and just below the female ferrule - there should be a number written in indian ink usually - the number should be the same on each section showing that it was matched when constructed. The numbers are quite small but it helps to show originality - my Avondale for example has the number 9 on each section.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Thanks.I can only see a number on one of the top sections.
Mark Davies

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I have one, only one top though, I use mine on the local canal. I'm sure mine is original condition whipped in red. I think many Aspindale rods had a cream / white button. I can't comment about Avocets but I bet they varied quite a bit depending on age. I'd say you got a bargain there.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I may break the habit of a lifetime and try the rod on the Sheffield/Tinsley Canal.I normally do not start coarse fishing on either running or still water until the 16th June,but thats long time ahead
Mark Davies

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd guess that someone has had the misfortune to break the tip off the Suredale and had a replacement made as well as repairing the shorter top as a spare. It was pretty common...still is for that matter.

You can be sure that the short tip has been re-furbed in someway therefore.

But I think the whole rod has been done as it does indeed look like copper wire over-whippings!

In fact every Suredale i've seen, and I own two, had double tipping on the whipping, possibly suggesting it was a top of the range rod?, .... I've not seen another Aspindale rod with it. For that matter, I've never seen another rod by anybody else with it either.

At 12 foot they could be heavy...the Avocet was 11'3", but they have the finest tip I have seen outside of a fly rod and consequently aren't too bad. One of my rods has a broken tip ( it really is a bit fragile) and is only 11'3" and it feels quite different to hols all day...who's think 9 inches of rod tip could have such an effect?

Here's one of mine....you can just make out the orange silk double-tipping, next to the cream main whips:
clcik to enlarge

Notice how the tip rings are biased up towards the tip to protect that fine cane there. It doesn't always work..... :Chuckle:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Penninelad wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm Photograph of all the sections

Hi Mark, do you still have the Suredale?
If so and its the 11ft version could you measure the ring spacings for me please?
Many thanks.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Penninelad wrote: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm I may break the habit of a lifetime and try the rod on the Sheffield/Tinsley Canal.I normally do not start coarse fishing on either running or still water until the 16th June,but thats long time ahead
You might run in to me. I'm back in the UK on Thursday and will be trying to get some practice in - probably on Monday - before my trip to Bures on the 15th, either on the Plumpers stretch or on one of the lock basins at Carbrook. I'll probably be using my newly acquired R.Sealey's Match Winner JFT (which is black) and a Mitchell 300. None more black.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”