avondale colour silks?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

avondale colour silks?

Post by Chubman »

my next restoration project is a avondale,can anyone tell me the original coloured silks used on this rod please, best wishes chubman.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: avondale colour silks?

Post by Nobby »

I can because I built a new tip for one, but as you will see it's not much help to know.

The silk was a black and white 'twist' with the two colours equally represented, but the old varnishes of the day make it look like it is yellow and black, not white and black.

So you have two choices it would seem, to mix some 'yellowy' varnish or find a silk that looks right when under modern clear varnishes.

The latter choice is easier and I used ProWrap Tiger Thread item no. 2002 from H&H

they might call it 'amber' but it's yellow!

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/7048

This image has the new silk in front, the old at the back...it really is very close indeed, I think

http://i47.tinypic.com/hsjhqu.jpg

The Avondale is only the second Aspindale rod I have ever seen to have 'double-tipping', both sides of a whipping.

Please note Tiger Thread, like all 'twists' is an utter git for weeping...you need at least three thick coats of banana oil and the first two need diluting and pressing in with a fingertip.

Here's a thread on it:
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 310&t=4363

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Agree with Nobby, its what I used on me Tudor.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

many thanks for the information guys, ive never used jasper threads before, but will give it a go, as for the bleed through ill try 3 coats of banana oil,leaving it 72 hours between each coat and see what happens. many thanks chubman.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a good idea...even thinned down banana oil takes a long time to dry. Best of luck, I'm sure it'll be OK.

In fact I did get some varnish bleed on that Avondale, but it slowly disappeared after a few months :whistle:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

If you want to avoid bleed through altogether, you almost can't put too many coats of banana oil on the silks before varnishing. I would go for five or even six and make sure you also use a very fine brush to separately push some down the gaps beside the rod ring feet and do that at least twice using gravity to help pull the banana oil down. Hope that helps.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh yes, thanks for that...I forgot to mention the ring 'tents' You want to really pump the banana oil into those.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Chubman - I have an Avondale which was restored by Aspindales a short while ago. If you run back through the topics on here you will find some photos of mine. If it is of any help I am hoping to come down to the Itchen on 15 February for the Mansbridge trip and if of help I could easily bring the Avondale along for you to have a look at.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

hi pershore, yes please.hope to see you soon, some big roach are starting to show up,best wishes chubman.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Chubman wrote:hi pershore, yes please.hope to see you soon, some big roach are starting to show up,best wishes chubman.
Consider it done - I shall arrive with the Avondale for your inspection.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”