Youngs MK IV

The Youngs of Harrow Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Youngs MK IV

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I see there are some pictures of a Youngs MK IV Avon in the Youngs section, but there doesn't seem to be any info or pictures of a MK IV carp. Just wondering if anyone has seen one or has any pictures?

Paul Cook
Grayling

Re: Youngs MK IV

Post by Paul Cook »

Haydn Clarke wrote:I see there are some pictures of a Youngs MK IV Avon in the Youngs section, but there doesn't seem to be any info or pictures of a MK IV carp. Just wondering if anyone has seen one or has any pictures?
Evening Haydn , I have some early versions of the Youngs of Harrow mkiv carp rods . They have unusual handles which are a little tricky to describe but are dated 1954-55 . I can post some pics if you are interested . I have had to restore all three of them but worth the effort .

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Here you go Haydn , three early mkiv Youngs Of Harrow "Otterbrand " mkiv carp rods built on Southwell blanks . The handles are very unusual with composite cork sections and thin slices of portugese cork sections . Never seen handles like this from any other maker . Apparently Youngs only made these rods for about 18 months until good supplies of cork became availible . Year of production 1954

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

They do look nice Paul.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Bloody hell, Paul, they're lovely! Must be rare as hen's teeth them things.

Those handles are something else, too. I've never seen anything quite like that before. It's almost like it's laminated cork.

The reason I wanted to see a Youngs ( and I wasn't even sure they made one) is that I'm after a MK IV of some description. I have been for a while and I still regularly beat myself up over the missed opportunity to buy a Sowerbutts MK IV a few years ago. A James one would be nice but they seem to be getting silly money these days an in comaprison to some others they are a little bit, shall we say, average . On the the old inthenet site, there a few pics of some cracking MK IV including some Precision ones:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... cision.asp

I'd love one of these, too.

If you ever decide you want to sell off one of those Youngs, though, let me know. They look even nicer.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Bloody hell, Paul, they're lovely! Must be rare as hen's teeth them things.

Those handles are something else, too. I've never seen anything quite like that before. It's almost like it's laminated cork.

The reason I wanted to see a Youngs ( and I wasn't even sure they made one) is that I'm after a MK IV of some description. I have been for a while and I still regularly beat myself up over the missed opportunity to buy a Sowerbutts MK IV a few years ago. A James one would be nice but they seem to be getting silly money these days an in comaprison to some others they are a little bit, shall we say, average . On the the old inthenet site, there a few pics of some cracking MK IV including some Precision ones:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... cision.asp

I'd love one of these, too.

If you ever decide you want to sell off one of those Youngs, though, let me know. They look even nicer.
They are unusual and being as Youngs were local I had to collect something from there and of course I love mkiv carp rods . I got lucky with these although it did take a few years to find them and about the same to restore all of them . I have never seen the avon version with this type of handle but would love to . Unfortunately these ones arent for sale although earlier I did sell some otterbrand rods as it was all getting too much so I had to slim it all down and just stick to these type of rods .
What doesnt seem to be realised is that a lot of the mkiv rods by lesser known makers are as good if not better in some cases than the more sought after models . The blanks on these alone are enough to create an interest as they are by Bob Southwell and most of the mkiv rods from Youngs were also built using Southwell cane , in my opinion , one of the very best cane makers of that period.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Good grief - I have an 8' Otter brand spinning rod with the same sort of handle - does this mean I have a slice of Southwell?
I've come over all trembly...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think it was because Clive Young had a small workshop and couldn't produce built cane in 5 foot lengths for the Mark IV, that he bought in cane from Southwell, but I'm not sure where I read that.......?

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

An old thread but you are correct Nobby. The information came direct from Clive and Cooky is also on record in the past as saying the same thing based on his conversations with Clive.
The eight foot rod mentioned by vole will be of 1954-55 vintage but was of a length that Clive and step dad Jack could manufacture ( you are also right about the smaller workshop) so is a desirable Youngs rod, but almost certainly not built on a blank supplied by Southwell

Return to “Youngs of Harrow Cane Rods”