The Tale of a Youngs of Harrow Cane Rod.

The Youngs of Harrow Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

The Tale of a Youngs of Harrow Cane Rod.

Post by Fredline »

This cane rod was bought in 1961 by my friend Dave's dad, Albert. A 3 piece whole cane bottom and middle sections with a built cane top measuring 11', at the time one of Youngs of Harrow's finest. It was used mainly on the River Lea with hemp and tares for roach but in 1981 caught a very large Barbel of 12lb 6oz from the Hampshire Avon earning its captor a prize rod from the Angling Times for one of the largest fish of the season. In the 1970's Dave and Albert changed the rings from the standard High Bells Life to the very offensive but fashionable Orange and White Fuji guides. Shocking, someone call a constable and arrest these two persons as enemies of traditional angling. Dave was telling me this story a couple of years ago and brought the rod in to show me. His dad was now hospitalised with Alzheimers and floated in and out of reality but was always up for a fishing chat. I offered to put the rod back to, as near as possible, its original 1960's condition. I had the rod kicking about for a few months and Albert constantly reminded Dave with the question "has your mate finished my rod yet?" He never forgot it despite his ailing health. I was sitting around one day and decided to start Alberts rod.The finish on the rod was still in excellent condition and it was very easy to make out where the original High Bells rings had stood. The old Fuji's came off without too much damage and were replaced with new High Bells Life rings, they had to have longer feet than the Fuji's to accommodate the original 1960's marks. An red agate lined butt and tip rings finished the rod as near to the original as possible. The varnish and wraps were a little tricky to match as the colour on both had darkened over the years so it was never going to be an "invisible mend".However I was pleased when it was finished so was Dave, but more importantly so was Albert when he was shown the rod in hospital.
He died a week later.
Why did I decide to refurbish this rod when I did? Fate? Coincidence? Who knows.
As a post script to the story Albert ended up in the swim where he had caught the Barbel in 1981 as Dave and his sister scattered some of Alberts ashes in the Avon. They could not get close enough to the river due to it being very overgrown so resorted to wrapping the ashes in a slice of bread and casting it towards the river. Dave told me it was very satisfying to hear the plop knowing he had thrown it far enough. How wonderfully poetic.
The End. Fredline aged 65½.ImageImage
Last edited by Fredline on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: The Tale of a Youngs of Harrow Cane Rod.

Post by Stour Otter »

Thanks for the story Fredline, it makes one feel humble.

S.O.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nice to think of Albert forever in his prize-winning swim, watching the barbel come and go.

Lovely tale, Fred. Thank-you.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Lovely story, well done Fred
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A truly moving story. Thank you, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a nice thing to do, what a nice end to the story, well done John :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

That's a lovely heart warming story John.
My Father is suffering with dementia and the chance to do something similar would be a dream come true.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a lovely, heart warming tale.... A toast to Albert gentlemen :cheers:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

To Albert, rest in peace :cheers:

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a wonderful tale and what a way for an angler to go to his rest.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Youngs of Harrow Cane Rods”