Early Otter Brand Rod

The Youngs of Harrow Rods forum.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Early Otter Brand Rod

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have just had this 11' 6" otter brand rod refurbished.But not by me.
It is spliced cane on the centre section and a spliced split cane to cane top section. I say cane but i can still never tell what is cane and what is reed.
The otter brand logo just states"Otter Brand" above the picture of the otter and below it states "Trade Mark".
It also has the spigot joints on the ferrules which are shown in the photos.
Can anyone help date the rod please and were Youngs of Harrow involved with Otter Brand at this time?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Roachtench
Ruffe

Re: Early Otter Brand Rod

Post by Roachtench »

It is indeed a Youngs of Harrow rod; Otter Brand was unique to the Station Road, Harrow father and stepson business, Jack Young handing over to stepson Clive. Clive died a few years ago in retirement on the Welsh borders.
Difficult to see from the rather glossy images if it is Spanish reed with a spliced built cane tip. At the length it is more than likely all cane. Though with a double splice it could well be reed. My Spanish reed Youngs rods start at around 13 feet in length.. I’ve just spoken to fishing chum, artist, rod, float and traditional tackle maker Paul Cook of Art of Angling, a member on this forum, and he says it looks like reed but is also unsure from the images.
We can possibly tell at a distance from the weight - can you tell us the weight of the rod without ferrule stoppers please Mr Crabtree. Its a lovely dark flamed cane/reed and dates to early - mid 1950s.
I’m happy to weigh one of my 11ft 6 rods and we can compare. Look forward to hearing the weight..

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It's a very classy looking rod.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That is one of the sweetest looking rods I have seen in a long while, the colour/finish is to die for. I would get a great deal of pleasure just sitting there looking at that rod and a really nice handmade reed float. Sorry, know nothing about the rod or company but just felt I had to comment.. :mrgreen:

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Re the weight of the rod (hopefully my scales are accurate);
Butt Section inc Rubber Button 8 oz
Middle section 5 oz
Top section 2 oz
So 15 oz in total.

Tony Croft did the work for me. I just called him and he suggests it could be reed or possibly female tonkin but when I visit him again (hes working on some of my other rods) he will have another look and let me know what he thinks then.
Many thanks for all your comments
Mike

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

Mid to late 1950s I’d say Mr Crabtree

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is a lovely looking rod Mike, it is a pity that Clive Young is not still with us to confirm its origins. I met him a few years ago and he was a lovely man. The reel bands and spigots are really unusual to my eye, you are a lucky man!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Youngs of Harrow Cane Rods”