The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

Post by MGs »

Apparently this company was like several others, located in Bromley. I have the makings of one of these, which is in pretty poor, but salvageable condition. It is, or was 12 foot, it has a few inches missing from the tip. The logo is a cartoon guy fishing. The other marks are "Elasiticane" above the logo and "Test" above that.

Anyone know much about the company and other coarse rods?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

Post by Nobby »

They started off well before the Second World War as Modarmcom which itself sounds like a contraction of the later name they used. The earlier named firm was in South London, not Kent and famously offered a Flick 'em reel known as the Snapham.

In Bromley they installed a planing machine, which whilst frowned upon by purists, does guarantee accurate tapers. They weathered the move on to fibre glass rods better than many and traded until the late Seventies.

The Test, often mistaken for 'Jest' due to the handwriting style, was their best-selling rod it would seem. I have seen them at 12, 11, and 10'6".
Last edited by Nobby on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks. Always nice to have a bit of history for my rods

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I have a 12’ “Test” picked up a house clearance sale few years ago. It came with an additional 18” top that enables it to be used as a heavy ledger, or even a pike rod.

Not up there with the big names but still a reasonable rod.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I have an Arun. a 12' 3 piece heavy float rod. It's ok, I guess but not one I'd be devestated to lose.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I agree, my test is not my favourite rod by any means, especially as it is missing about 8 inches from the base of the tip section. Still it makes a good barbel rod and has landed a few of around 8lb. Good solid kit without being too special

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Marco Standard Carp, Auger Genpurr, Inthenetuk

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have their "Standard Carp" although I am afraid I have not been terribly careful with it.

10ft 2 piece Elasticane, black whipping.

There is a "The Medway" on eBay at present and the same seller has an Auger reel.

I had an email from Adrian Gay (Inthenetuk.com) expressing the hope that he would be able to do an update in the future but obviously he has a busy life in the real world. I suspect that members of the TFF know Mr Gay. Is there any way that we could help with his endeavour?
Last edited by Deaf Cat on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Marco Standard Carp, Auger Genpurr, Inthenetuk

Post by Mark »

dgc2011 wrote:I have their "Standard Carp" although I am afraid I have not been terribly careful with it.

10ft 2 piece Elasticane, black whipping.

There is a "The Medway" on eBay at present and the same seller has an Auger reel.

I had an email from Adrian Gay (Inthenetuk.com) expressing the hope that he would be able to do an update in the future but obviously he has a busy life in the real world. I suspect that members of the TFF know Mr Gay. Is there any way that we could help with his endeavour?
I'm sure we could help Adrian dgc, all he needs to do is tell us what he wants and I'm sure the lads will provide photos etc.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have recently supplied him with photos and descriptions of an Allcocks and Dawsons missing from his lists. He thanked me and said he would updated when he go chance

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Adrian has been a friend for several years and I know he wants to do more with the site, but it's all a matter of time really. He lives abroad and has a young family as well as a demanding full-time job
I did help him out dealing with his November e-Mails to the site and you wouldn't believe the 'variety' and volume he gets!

Suffice to say, some correspondents think he can supply them with new tips for their rods, hundreds more want valuations for some inheritance or other and none of them ever thank you for a reply or any assistance given.

I don't know how he does it!

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”