The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

Post by AshbyCut »

Mr B wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 pm I am in the process of restoring my dads old Marco rod. It looks like it is called Aron?
Its a three peace rod but the top section has gone missing. I have a few top sections in split cane but they dint really match.
Any ideas ?
I know there not the best of rods, but it was the first rod I remember my dad owning and it went with him from Cornwall to Cape wrath. Had some lovely fish on it. Must be around 50 years old.

Mr B
It's named after the River Arun, Sir ... a river of West Sussex ... this (even if it is Wiki) may give you a start to investigating it's history ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Arun
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I guest it was named after the river, I have fished it a few times... Sorry,not good at spelling.. Aron!!!
I will have a look at the link you sent me, should be interesting.
Great when a rod is names after a river... I have another called The Thames made by J Peek, thats a nice rod.

Thank you.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Ahh, interesting.... Tidel, fast flowing... The rod has got quite a stiff action.
I never caught anything the couple of times I fished it years ago, but my mate had a nice Bass!
I should get the rod sorted out and try again...have to resurch it...

Saposed to have some big Barbel too. Thats better. Not interested in catching Bass apart from the sea.

Thanks again
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Ljm183 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm Marco Thames De Luxe @ 12ft
Butt section round cane.
Mid section stepped down round cane.
Tip section split cane.
23in Handle.

Work in progress ...............

Hi LJM
Can I ask how much was if anything was changed during the rufurb ? I havd just bought a Marco Thames De Luxe but it appears much older than this one. It has brass fittings and the spliced in middle section look like it may be greenheart or similar.
Doing a search throws up very little.
John

ImageImageImageImageImage

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Hello John.

All that was changed was the intermediate rings and the whipping, everything else was kept as original.

Lee.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Ljm183 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 pm Hello John.

All that was changed was the intermediate rings and the whipping, everything else was kept as original.

Lee.
Thanks Lee
Looks very smart .
Has me wondering how old mine might bee given the brass fittings and greenheart splice .
John

Foss Fisher
Minnow

Post by Foss Fisher »

Another MARCO model to add to the list is the " Lyca " 7ft 6 inch 2 piece split cane spinning rod

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mr B wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 pm I am in the process of restoring my dads old Marco rod. It looks like it is called Aron?
Its a three peace rod but the top section has gone missing. I have a few top sections in split cane but they dint really match.
Any ideas ?
I know there not the best of rods, but it was the first rod I remember my dad owning and it went with him from Cornwall to Cape wrath. Had some lovely fish on it. Must be around 50 years old.

Mr B
My late dad's 'Marco Medway' needed a new tip, John Chapman made me a new one using the old furrel, although Chapmans have now closed I believe John Chapman still does some work so could be worth contacting him.
Dave

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have just seen a rod on Facebook, a Marco “Delta”

Looks to be a 2 piece 6’ to 8’ hex cane spinning rod with just 4 white ceramic-lined rings
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”