Marco - Arun Pictures included.

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Marco - Arun Pictures included.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Jut some pictures of my Modern Arms (Marco) Arun. It's a big robust 12ft 3 piece probably best suited for tench and barbel.

I've not done much to this rod having bought it as restored. It did, however, have a rather poor finish to the varnish so I simply rubbed it back a bit and gave it a couple coats over what was already there. It has improved it somewhat but it's still not as good as starting over from the bare cane up.

I'm not sure if the whippings have been done as original but there are no signs that it is otherwise.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Re: Marco - Arun Pictures included.

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Looks beautiful

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Haydn, even the butt stop is in a matching colour.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My Arun arrived via courier this morning. A bonus was that not only did it come with a stiff canvas three section rod bag but also a zip top, camouflaged rod tube which will come in very useful for all my collection.

I'd been on the lookout for a 12ft. all split cane rod for a while as the two other 12 footers in my cave are the Precision "R. Sealey Precise" and the Hillward's "Avon," both reed/split cane tip action rods.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Yet another fine rod Haydn :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Ashby, that's interesting. Yours has 2064 where mine has 1959, which I'd always assumed to be the date. Unless yours arrived by quantum leap then that is obviously a serial number, rather than a date.

Nice looking rod, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I know these things are variable but would you describe it as I have mine... ie, as perhaps a heavy float rod?
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Haydn Clarke wrote:would you describe it as I have mine... ie, as perhaps a heavy float rod?
I'll be fascinated to compare it to the 'Test' and report back, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, most Marcos have hand-written serial number on the butt section.

As far as I know nobody has been able to put a date to any of them.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice Rod's Hayden and AC.

Gaz

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just had a look through this thread as I found a Arun at the bootfair this morning but notice the rods here are 12 foot. I have just measured mine and it is 10 foot 6 inches, so they must have made an Arun in different sizes, or maybe mine is a later or earlier example..I really do not know. mine has a serial number by the cork..4360. The ferrules have '10' stamped into the female sections also.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”