Marco serial numbers

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Marco serial numbers

Post by Richard Jackson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Evening all, as you may know i have a bit of an obsession with Marco rods and like many of yoi i have wondered what the no’s just above the handle refer to , in the last few weeks i have been restoring my Marco rods , the Exe , the Medway , the Arun and the unknown rod -possibly the Avon .Of these rods they were all in original condition when i recieved them and 3 of them had serial no’s on ,the Avon did not , i have stripped all of them down , eyes - whippings - reel bands-buttons and ferrules leaving just the blank and the cork handles , i have weighed each rod and have taken a cork roughly the same size of 1 shrive and bored an hole in the centre roughly the size of the blank , i jave then counted how many on each of the rods handles and worked out the weight , i have tgen weighed the stripped rods and deducted the weight of the shrives , now if my calculations are correct ( maths is not my strong point ) then the no’s on the Marco rods is actually the weight of the blank , i can’t see why they would do this but the weight is always within a few digits of the no’s on the rods , i have taken the fact that the rods may havve gained or lost moisture over the years
What are your thoughts ? Is it a stupid suggestion and my maths is along way out ?
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Ljm183
Tench

Re: Marco serial numbers

Post by Ljm183 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Richard How did you work out the weight Ounces or Grams ?

These are 2 i have

Marco Avon

Marco Medway De-Luxe

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Re: Marco serial numbers

Post by Richard Jackson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm

I worked it out in oz , your Medway may have just blown my idea out the window unless you have a very heavy version
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”