Marco Standard Carp

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Marco Standard Carp

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, saw a Standard Carp Rod in a antique warehouse it is 10'3' which seems an odd length, nothing is missing off the tip and it is whipped in dark green, no set in the tip and very usable, it feels nice in the hand and lighter than expected, it has 'Paynes of Balham' transfer above the usual Marco logo.

Any info on years they were made and importantly what's it like to use, it seemed to me more of a stepped up Avon action, they are asking £60 but may knock a bit off, a fair price ?
Tight lines Dave

Barbulus
Tench

Re: Marco Standard Carp

Post by Barbulus »

Well Rod if you don't want it I will. I bought one last year; light and responsive. £ 60 is fine if not slightly less. Black whipping ?

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I am the proud owner of two MARCO Standard Carp rods and if I could lay my hands on another for £60 or less then I would snap it up.

Delightful rods to use with a beautiful through action and MARCO Elasticane is just that - elastic. I have never seen a MARCO rod with a set yet.

The length at 10'3" is a bit odd as they should be 10" The Paynes of Balham transfer will simply be the tackle shop where it was sold. My advice would be to purchase the rod without delay.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

A great rod.I really enjoy using mine and my othe Elasticane rods.Buy it.
Mark Davies

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snap it up Sir,I too have a elasticane, wonderful rod :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Sounds an absolute bargain to me. One to buy and try.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I am not sure if this is a good guide for yours but mine is a terrific rod and was £ 50 at Redditch last year. Marked up at £ 60 to begin with. Brilliant !

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Chaps, I will see if it's still for sale as your views on the rod are so good, my wife said I dither when it comes to opening my wallet! so if it's gone I only have myself to blame but I wanted some opinions before buying, will let you know if I get it. Barbulus...the whippings appear to be dark green but the lighting in the shop combined with my old eyes mean they could possibly be black ?
Tight lines Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, my reluctance to buy it before getting your valued opinions did result in it being sold ! however if another comes my way I will not hesitate to buy it.
Tight lines
Dave

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Just read this thread and am gutted with the ending, I feel for you Rutland Rod.. next time go with the gut feeling and sod the consequences from SWMBO (when it suits :Wink: )

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”