Marco ID greatly appreciated

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
NeilGoneFishing

Marco ID greatly appreciated

Post by NeilGoneFishing »

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents

I have a beautiful cane rod. It carries the Marco Logo and the word Elastiglas, it also has 20/55 on the rod itself just above the cork grip. It is in 3 sections and i believe it to be 12ft. Are any of you wonderful gents able to give me some info on this rod please? I can provide images if this would aide it's identification as i have spent many months trying to even find any information on it's history.

thank you all in advance

Kind regards

Neil

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Marco ID greatly appreciated

Post by The Old Buffer »

Images would be a great help, also the exact length of the rod.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Images would be a great help, also the exact length of the rod. If it has an Elastiglass transfer on it you may infer that it is in fact fibreglass - MARCO made many of the glass rods cane coloured.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

NeilGoneFishing

thank you so much for a reply. it has a hexagonal profile and very much appears to be cane. I shall attempt to upload some images but that isn't mu strong point :)

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If it's cane it would say Elasticane !!! It might be a 12' Test.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

MARCO cane rods had a transfer "elasticane" and their glass rods "elastiglass."

It may well be a "Test" but Marco made an assortment of three section rods at 12'

NeilGoneFishing

I will see if i can attach some images, any advice on how to do that would be greatly appreciated :)

NeilGoneFishing

NeilGoneFishing

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Well the rod is built cane but for some unknown reason it has an Elastiglas decal. The gold and black whippings are common for marco rods. I do not think that the 20/55 will be significant and probable denotes that the rod is number 20 in a batch of 55. Marco would usually hand write the name of the rod in black above the elastiglas or elasticane decal so it may be worth close scrutiny to see if anything remains of that.

If you can manage a photo of the rod showing all three sections side by side and give us the total length we may be able to put a name to it.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”