Marco Elasticane Test (with thanks to SeanM)

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Marco Elasticane Test (with thanks to SeanM)

Post by Kingfisher »

With thanks to SeanM for setting me straight on spacings and build I went ahead and stripped this rod I'd won on ebay for £25 a couple of months back. The cane after stripping was a lovely honey colour, also after removing the wippings on the bottom of the butt section, I came across a date hand written in ink. I couldn't make it out precisely but it looked like either 1951 or 1953. I'm not sure when these rods started to come about, so I may be wrong but this one is definitely an older one. The wippings were a claret and were old but more than likely from a restoration (I'm not sure when). It was fitted with lowbells and I'm changing them to highbells as this rod I want to keep and use myself.

Edit, I also found a slight delamination of around 4/5 inches running right through the decals, so I opened it up taking the greatest of care not to ruin the decals. I brushed in some gorilla glue after moistening inside the split and then quickly wiped off the excess glue, wipped it with string to bind it shut and then wiped it over again twice every five minutes to stop the decal from being ruined.

With the rod stripped, I looked through my silks and decided upon red and green not in-keeping with originality but colours I liked.

Here is the Butt section after one day of restoration. Mid section is being wipped today in between sheep checks as we are lambing on the farm.

I hope now SeanM can see what I meant about having to changed the intermediates around the decal. Mine is closer together than newer versions and so it meant one lot of 5 inters instead of two lots of three.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Marco Elasticane Test (with thanks to SeanM)

Post by The Old Buffer »

That looks very nice. I have a number of Marco rods (including a Test) which I picked up in need of refurbishment and worked on myself. I must admit to being a great fan of elasticane and have yet to come across one showing any signs of a set.

Great rods. :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

looking good kf it will be a good rod to use when you have finished
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Very nice KF. I must get round to doing one soon as well. I have just the one "elasticane" rod: a standard carp rod from Redditch a few months ago. I really like it. Beautiful colour to the cane and light and straight: a "user" for sure so "roll on" the Summer........

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Barbulus wrote:Very nice KF. I must get round to doing one soon as well. I have just the one "elasticane" rod: a standard carp rod from Redditch a few months ago. I really like it. Beautiful colour to the cane and light and straight: a "user" for sure so "roll on" the Summer........

I like the looks of the standard carp. I saw that one recently on ebay with the gold guides.....looked fabulous.

thanks for your kindness gents. :Hat:

Izaak Walton

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Nice work KF, I tried to clean the decals on mine and lost the lot :Scared: , so now generally leave them alone for posterity, but yours look good well done :clap:
Best Fishes
Mushy

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Glad to help Matt. The rod is looking good and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. I think the numbers under the whipping above the handle are a serial number (mine is 215).

I had redraw the little man on mine as he'd lost his legs.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

SeanM wrote:Glad to help Matt. The rod is looking good and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. I think the numbers under the whipping above the handle are a serial number (mine is 215).

I had redraw the little man on mine as he'd lost his legs.
He must have had some of my homebrew Sean. :Chuckle:

Seriously though, thanks for the help, God knows what it would have been like without your help.

The number, I didn't realise so many were made, obviously I knew they had a milling machine but there must be lots out there. I wish they'd made as many standard carps.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Just being finished and in time for the wild carp weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Izaak Walton

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”