Odd Marco rod question.

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
MarkG
Grayling

Odd Marco rod question.

Post by MarkG »

marco 42 002.jpg
marco 42 001.jpg
This is a bit of an oddity that I do not understand. It is a three piece but, the top piece is glass fiber. It has the Marco label with the numbers 42 stamped above it. Is this a model number or a rod number? The glass section looks like it was part of the original rod (the ferrule fits perfectly) but, the bottom sections I am not sure what they are. Are they cane or greenhart?. Did Marco make greenhart rods and was glass fiber around when rods were made of greenhart? Is it a very early marcop rod, what does the number 42 represent.Sorry lots of questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Odd Marco rod question.

Post by Santiago »

Looks like whole cane to me, but the photo is not that clear. Looks like there are nodes, if so it's whole cane. Very unlikely to be made of greenheart with a fibreglass tip section. How long is the rod?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Agreeing with Santiago ... I think I can see nodes there, so probably whole cane.

It wasn't unusual for companies to make rods with a solid glass of fibre glass tip section instead of split cane ... saving on production costs, presumably.

For example ... the last incarnation of the long running Allcock's 'Isis' was the same format as your Marco ... whole cane butt and centre with glass tip.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd guess it was a bit of a revelation at the time...a nice light, stiff, quick-striking whole cane rod and a nearly unbreakable tip section.

Fibreglass first appeared in fishing rods in 1953, for Allcocks at least...not sure about Hardy, their catalogues are a bit hard to find ( and afford!), but woods other than cane and reed were on the wain by then.

Ashbycut's example of the Isis is a particularly pertinent one as the early versions of the rod had a greenheart tip section and later ones had fibreglass.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

isnt 42 the answer to life the universe and every thing (the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) sorry about that but i just had to do it
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Gord wrote:isnt 42 the answer to life the universe and every thing (the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) sorry about that but i just had to do it
I will forgive you, there's always one, :Wink:

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Actually I have been a bit dumb on this one, after a close look it does have nodes so, it is a whole cane rod with a fiber tip. It is 10-1/2 ft long. It is in nice condition, I guess it has been touched up at some point. I bought it for £10. I don't like the mixture of cane and fiber, it just not look right somehow but. I might try a fish with this. Might be suitable for a spot of roach fishing.
So, it must be a later Marco model, possibly 1950yish. Was it worth a tenner?
If old Mr Marco did not discover the meaning of life, what is the 42?

(I am sorry for the poor pics, it did not help)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I would say that it is probably 1960s. For £10 you can't really go wrong. Although not regarded as the best brand Marco made some pretty decent rods. use it and enjoy it.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”