What is Going on Here?

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

What is Going on Here?

Post by The Old Buffer »

This for sale on the Bay of E http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/unused-MARCO- ... 2c9343840d

Whilst I do not profess to be an expert on Modern Arms Company rods I am the proud owner of a Capella de Luxe 10 foot built cane rod which I use for pike fishing (though I do occasionally use it for carp). Whilst the 10 foot Capella is very similar to the mkiv in looks and action it was never described as such by the company

This rod looks to have been extensively refurbished and put up for sale under the guise of a Mkiv. As far as I am aware MARCO never produced a mkiv as such and their only carp rod of that ilk was their "Standard Carp."

I am a great lover of MARCO rods and am the proud owner of many - but one of the great attractions for me, being a keen re-furbisher of rods, is how reasonably priced they still are. This is without doubt the most expensive MARCO rod I have ever seen offered for sale.

Is this a case of Caveat Emptor or am I being unjustly unkind?
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: What is Going on Here?

Post by Olly »

It has Capella de Luxe on the rod!

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Olly wrote:It has Capella de Luxe on the rod!
Exactly!
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I've got a MARCO, never seen one like this. Whether restored or not the price is high, but you have to say it's very nice in my honest opinion
niceroach

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Yes it is a lovely looking rod and the 10ft Capella de Luxe is a lovely rod. But I still believe that this rod is pretending to be something other than what it is.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

The Old Buffer wrote:Yes it is a lovely looking rod and the 10ft Capella de Luxe is a lovely rod. But I still believe that this rod is pretending to be something other than what it is.
Agreed. My dad has a Capella de Luxe, which is a very nice rod. However, as you say, it is not a MK IV
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Capella is a spinning rod, I believe?

The seller seems to be a bit confused....?

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Nobby wrote:The Capella is a spinning rod, I believe?

Yes.

The seller seems to be a bit confused....?
I cannot but think that the rod has been completely refurbished - re ringed with a new butt section. Yet the seller is describing it as mint and unused and setting up a starting bid of £399?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I recently had a rod on ebay for sale, it was advertised as a Hardy Bros Alnwick 11' Round / split cane rod (Avocet) " The Avon"
In my listing i said

" Whole-cane butt, split-cane middle and top sections.
Avocet Style.

Fully restored Using the original butt and tip ring,s.

This is the ebay listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361086609158

This is a message i got from the seller of the Marco.

"if it does not sell please mail me as I would like to restore it with the correct low bells rings and highland green silk and use it
or do a buy now deal at £100 posted or Hermes collected
ps this model is more like an Avon Perfection than an Avocet
ie lighter."

I let the auction run till the end and doubled the offer.

As for the ring,s being wrong, i don't think so, all the Hardy Avon,s iv seen have had high bell,s, . the Hardy Wallis avon,s had low bells.

Lee.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The Capella was a salmon spinning rod, at least mine was when I bought it! A hollow glass version purchased in the mid/late 60's. I used it for piking mostly & it is still in my possession.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”