Dad's 1947 'Medway'

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Dad's 1947 'Medway'

Post by Rutland Rod »

Image Although I renovated my late dad's MA Medway 10'6'' rod last year I had not yet used it, decided to give it an outing on Friday for a couple of hours on a local Lincs stream where I know all being well I would catch a Chub or two, Chapman's had supplied a new tip and fitted the old ferrule as the old one had reduced in length over the years. They made a great job and blued the ferrules. Decided to use my wooden Nottingham reel as it felt and looks right and can remember my dad having one...until he discovered the delights of an Interprid fixed spool ! The rain was starting and my chosen 'banker' swim was a longish walk, only took bread as bait and a few offerings went in, first trot down and float shot under...expecting the rod to bend but missed ! next trot down small chub around 1lb, the rod is heavy in the butt/middle as it has a steel centre but did not feel too much for the modest fish, getting wetter so decided to head back to the car and fish a pool under a road bridge before the light went.

This swim always has a few fish in it, it marks the downstream boundary of where the farmer kindly lets me fish and although I sought permission to go onto the neighbouring farmers land I was turned down (nicely !) however my float always goes about 20 yards into this forbidden water ! in the 5 years I've been fishing this stream I've only ever caught and seen chub, although it looks a typical trout stream running over limestone and always with a good flow even in a drought, so it was a very pleasant suprise after catching 2 more small chub as the light started to go to catch this small brownie on flake and an 8 hook ! as soon as it was hooked it jumped out the water several times, quick pic and home to dry off the 67 year old rod, 2 years older than this owner !
Tight lines Dave

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Dad's 1947 'Medway'

Post by NiceRoach »

Lovely :Thumb:
niceroach

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Dad's 1947 'Medway'

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Absolutely splendid and a fine reward for letting the bait travel into 'private' waters which always look so attractive.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”