My Crabtree and Patsy.

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Fredline
Tench

My Crabtree and Patsy.

Post by Fredline »

ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: My Crabtree and Patsy.

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Think I'll stick to the chippy on the corner!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That Patsy book is a good read, dated but absorbing. There is another Daily Mirror book along similar lines called 'Grow Flowers' priced at 5 bob and the cartoon strips are about Mr Digwell and his gardening.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Someone will know what date this was published but rationing didn’t end till mid 1950’s and a lot of species were taken for the table to supplement what the shops could offer, or taken to feed the cat or other pets/livestock....and latterly a lot of arrivals to these shores are partial to eating course fish just as they did where they used to live. It seems that the awareness programs by the Angling Trust and others coupled with tighter enforcement is working ? I’ve read numerous times that Perch and Grayling are delicious but personally have no desire to try them. A chap from Kettering I knew supplied a fish and chip shop in Kettering with numerous Zander he caught/killed fishing in the Fens, what the fish shop sold them as I don’t know...

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Rutland Rod wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 pm Someone will know what date this was published but rationing didn’t end till mid 1950’s and a lot of species were taken for the table to supplement what the shops could offer, or taken to feed the cat or other pets/livestock....and latterly a lot of arrivals to these shores are partial to eating course fish just as they did where they used to live. It seems that the awareness programs by the Angling Trust and others coupled with tighter enforcement is working ? I’ve read numerous times that Perch and Grayling are delicious but personally have no desire to try them. A chap from Kettering I knew supplied a fish and chip shop in Kettering with numerous Zander he caught/killed fishing in the Fens, what the fish shop sold them as I don’t know...
In the book it states that Patsy married Peter (not Mr Crabtrees Peter) in 1946, and also states three years later who would have thought that Daily Mirror readers would be looking forward to see what she would be up to in the kitchen. So the book is 1949 ish I suppose. An advert for military pickle inside states Hayward Bros, 1869-1949. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My Grandad boiled a tench once. I repeat ONCE :doh:

Great book though, must look for a copy.

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Is there a whiff of knee trembling going on with Mr C and Patsy d'ya think? 🤔

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Windjammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 am Is there a whiff of knee trembling going on with Mr C and Patsy d'ya think? 🤔
Heresy!!!! but very funny :Hahaha:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Windjammer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 am Is there a whiff of knee trembling going on with Mr C and Patsy d'ya think? 🤔
You can read all about their exploits it in the other book.. Shades of Grayling. :eyebrow:

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Reedling wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 am
You can read all about their exploits it in the other book.. Shades of Grayling. :eyebrow:
Hahaha, would Bernard still provide illustrations...... I'll stop here.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”