Rare Mr Crabtree book???

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Fredline
Tench

Rare Mr Crabtree book???

Post by Fredline »

I picked up this unusual mint hardback copy of "Fishing with the Experts" a Daily Mirror Crabtree book. It is pretty obvious that Bernard Venables had no input into this edition apart from the Daily Mirror using his original Crabtree drawings. They have even had a rather crude attempt at reproducing the strip style of Mr Crabtree. The book is marked 1974, when is was originally published, but it is the cover that I have not seen before. Has anyone in TFFLand ever seen this cover? ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Rare Mr Crabtree book???

Post by Bob Brookes »

Here is the 'standard' version.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

It looks like it has been rebound into a hard cover.
Best regards
Mem

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

There is also standard hardback copy with pictorial front and back covers. Why would you rebind such an inferior edition of Bernard Venables work?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

It may be that it was rebound because it had become detached from its cover, who knows?
I've seen lots of rebound books and have a few in my art library.
Magazines are also bound in volumes which is actually quite handy, I may do it with some of my fishing or Creel magazines.
Best regards
Mem

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have no way of knowing if this is the case here, but often County Libraries would have paperback books rebound as hardbacks so that they might last a few years of lending. I have a couple of copies of a homebrewing book here so re-bound and I know for certain that the book in question was never offered as a hardback.

The cover design is apparently created by oils that repel one another. A bit of a lost art nowadays, it's a fine way of making a book last through the decades. I expect there are a few 'bookbinders' still out there but not many in this digital age.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”