A scarce film on youtube

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Aaron

A scarce film on youtube

Post by Aaron »

Found this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5bIOfN0Vc Enjoy! :fishing1:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: A scarce film on youtube

Post by OldTackle »

How much the things have changed! Lovely memory of the old days! Enjoyed that very much. Thank you for sharing Aaron, Sir!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

MHC

Post by MHC »

Thanks for spotting this enjoyable slice of the past.

How glossy their waders looked and salmon did not seem to put up much of a fight for the camera..I like the dubbed clicker/ratchet sound on Bernards Ambassadeur 5000C to add to the action,though they were silent except when line was running out. Bernard was a handsome fellow in those days and had his particular style of winding right handed, bringing his grayling in. He did the same in Passion for Angling I seem to remember.

Lovely glimpse into the past, I am guessing very late 1960's and wasn't that the lilting voice of Fulton Mackay of Porridge fame narrating, pity that he was not included in the credits.

(Old Tackle..your Altex screw went off in the mail today)

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

(Old Tackle..your Altex screw went off in the mail today)[/quote]

Awesome MHC! Many thanks! I do not expect it to arrive for the weekend unfortunately. The weather forecast predicted around 20 degrees! Almost summer then!

Thanks again Malcolm, Sir. :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Wonderful evocative stuff. Love the fact the hotels only cost 20-25 guineas per week to live in....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I don't really know too much about them but was that the Craftsversa being used for grayling? Looked like a slim tapering handle. Great viewing.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Brilliant! "I'll have a gin and tonic please..."
Loved Bernard's Barbour Solway Zipper.

Thanks for sharing Aaron :Hat:
MHC wrote:salmon did not seem to put up much of a fight for the camera.
Looked like a dead one to me!

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Did you notice the way that cane rod was bending about on the roof rack gents :Scared: . W B > :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Lovely Aaron thanks for sharing the link. I like the way it is said,the 'ordinary' coarse fisherman can fish well here as well as the Trout and Salmon fishermen. Is it me or does Bernard Venables look really cack handed with that rod whilst fishing for Grayling. I noticed what looks like a ABU 6000 with leveline on that pike rod!

MHC

Post by MHC »

Nice to see BV fishing a plug most effectively with a multiplier, I think that it is an ABU Ambassadeur 5000C (see photo) which were the black ones with ball bearings. The 6000 was a third wider and would have been a big reel on his rod which looks to be about 8'. The film is quite grainy but it almost seems that his rod has a screw fitting from afar and the close up is of sliding rings holding the same reel which is not ideal with such a reel.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”