Here's a bit of history

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Rod
Grayling

Here's a bit of history

Post by Rod »

I discovered this, and if it is real, then it's a bit of angling history.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fishi ... 2c92bd8b86
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Here's a bit of history

Post by Santiago »

Very interesting. I saw a "Dailly Mirror' prize split cane rod on ebay a few days ago but the seller said he'd be only sending a photo copy of the authentication letter because " he needed the real letter for another project". Makes one wonder! Possibly the prize was actually a rod and a reel (as a prize that makes more sense) so if this is the same seller why split them up?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Just had a look, unless it's listed wrong, it states it was from 1931, and the reel is from 1951, and a different seller?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Allco ... 1077633016?
That is if it's the one you were referring to :Confused:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes that's the one. I suppose there must have been dozens of these prizes given out by the Dailly Mirror over the years but the ones left must be extremely rare, especially with a letter of provenance signed by a famous angler. So I wonder who's signed the letter with the rod!?

Hemingway

Walterswim

Post by Walterswim »

It is I that is selling the prize rod on Ebay - The rod, no reel, was a monthly prize from The Daily Mirror newspaper for submitting angling "tips" to the column edited by Marshall Hardy. These went on later to be published in his book Mirror of Angling. This particular winner wrote several letters. The rod restoration is beyond me now, but I was hanging onto the original bits of paper and info. (I keep intending to do a couple of articles that Classic Angling mag may like. Another project is early Blagdon but I haven't got round to them yet!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've just been reading about Blagdon in this book viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15605.

I'm not too sure how early is early, but some of the stories from Blagdon appear quite old (cannot rememebr dates, but about 100 yrs or so). Anyways, all very good reading!

On another note, just curious who signed the letter from the Mirror? Anyone famous?

Hemingway

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”