Precision Works "R. Sealey's 'Precise' "

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Works "R. Sealey's 'Precise' "

Post by AshbyCut »

The tale is in the "General Traditional Coarse Fishing Chat" section ... but here are the pics ...

This is a Precision Works "R. Sealey 'Precise' " 12 foot 3 piece rod with a 21" cork handle.

The butt section is whole cane ... the middle section is whole cane/whole cane spliced ... the tip is split cane with a compound taper.

All but the butt and tip guides are rusty, the varnish is peeling in places, but it's sound and complete ... and will make an ideal winter project at a purchase price of £20 (at least, I think so).

Any other information on this rod gratefully received.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Davyr

Re: Precision Works "R. Sealey's 'Precise' "

Post by Davyr »

A couple of photos on here:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... cision.asp

The description (taken I think from the eBay listing) mentions (Spanish) reed, but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Finally ... I have been able to complete the rebuild of this rod, which needed not only a varnish strip and new highbell guides throughout, but also replacement ferrules on the butt/centre section joint (this having been supplied by a TFF member ... many thanks RyanBurns !!!).

Bought for £20, this 12ft., 3 piece rod has a whole reed butt section, reed/whole cane spliced centre section, and a compound taper split cane tip section (the taper changes quickly over a length of 2 inches, 19 inches from the ferrule, making the action even more 'tippy').

Having, since Christmas, completed not only this rod but also the Edgar Sealey "Floatcaster Deluxe" and the Hillward's "Avon Rex" (see other threads), I can now make a start on the Allcock's "Isis" and Marco "Test" I recently obtained.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Well done that man :Thumb:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one AC. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

AC, you are a craftsman sir, I love your refurbs.

Gazi

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

:oops: Thank you for your comments, one and all, but shhhh ... I'm a novice at this, and if anyone looked closely they could see the imperfections. Like me ... they look better from a distance than close up.

The wonderful thing about this hobby of ours is that there is so much of it we can become involved in without ever reaching the waterside ... a real boon for those, like myself, who for one reason or another are unable to go out and fish as much as we'd like.

All I have learned about the work I do on old rods, and bringing them back into useable condition, has come from the members of this great forum who are unstinting in their generosity in sharing skills/information/support.

I thank you all.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

^^^^ Here Here ^^^^^
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Another one to add to this thread.... and perhaps your search list AC, Sir :Hat: - I've recently purchased a 10ft 6in version of the 'Precise'.

Sadly it has a broken tip, and finding a match for that original 'compound taper' will be probably difficult (impossible?!?). In the meantime I've found a substitute tip that should make the rod fishable again, at least for the time being, so restoration work has started.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well done, Young Sir !!! ((Rats ... yes it IS another I don't have !!!))

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”