Double compound taper Festival

The Precision Rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Double compound taper Festival

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Compound tapered cane has always puzzled me. Two steep tapers more so! I can nearly grasp the concept of a planing jig set to a straight taper but how is the step down made? By hand?
Last edited by Nigel Rainton on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another fine acquisition for the home of Precision Rods. Well done Mal.

I too have wondered how an accurate twin taper is created, is it done on a milling machine perhaps.

Stepping down by splicing on whole cane rods gives the maker a controlled action due to a taper not always available in the natural world, does the stepped built cane give a similar "match rod" effect, stiffness upto a certain point then a softer flexing tip to protect light lines etc.

I wonder if these rods may be hollow built too at least upto the point of step down in taper, it would make sense to keep it as light as possible if it is for quick action float work.

Any thoughts..

Wal.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

A lovely rod Mal
Dave

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

there not what i would call a float rod,lots of power, more a light ledger rod in my view, i will be taking mine to the royalty next week in the hope of a barbel or two

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

SofaSurfer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 amI can nearly grasp the concept of a planing jig set to a straight taper but how is the step down made? By hand?
Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 pmI too have wondered how an accurate twin taper is created, is it done on a milling machine perhaps
Wal and SS. Gentlemen both ... to gain the information you requested I have consulted TFF's very own James (Andrew Davis), who was good enough to respond thus ...

"The R Sealey Festival. I have found 3 different tapers made for this rod. The first version is an Avocet, a very strong rod with straight tapers. The Festival that you see most of is the twin taper top and middle section. I did come across one with just a middle twin taper. I am not sure if this was part of the evolution or the top had been replaced ?
They were more likely built using a large cast iron milling machine. John at Chapman's used these and you could adjust the bed for compound tapers. In fact John Brough used an old cast iron milling machine successfully for years up until his retirement a few years ago."

In fact ... the version with the compound taper on the centre section only, which was restored by Andrew himself, is one in my collection.

As I had heard tell some time ago of another version, with compound taper in the tip section only (though I've never seen one, even in a photograph) ... I'm assuming these were all part of the evolution of these rods ... possibly even 'customer special orders' which I know from Bernard's great grand daughter were a feature of this marque's output.

In short ... I now have the straight taper version, the one with the compound centre section, and the one with both centre and tip compound.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks Mal, very helpful information. Possibly all versions were available to order, it shows they were constantly striving to address their customers requirements.
"Dear Mr Sealey, I would like one of your Festival rods but with slightly more tip action please", certainly sir, you will require a rod with the twin taper tip. "That'll do nicely Mr Sealey, thank you". "Now, can I have it for next weekend please" :Chuckle:

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm Thanks Mal, very helpful information. Possibly all versions were available to order, it shows they were constantly striving to address their customers requirements.
"Dear Mr Sealey, I would like one of your Festival rods but with slightly more tip action please", certainly sir, you will require a rod with the twin taper tip. "That'll do nicely Mr Sealey, thank you". "Now, can I have it for next weekend please" :Chuckle:

Wal.
Perfectly put Wal, Sir ... not so much 'we build rods for you to buy,' but 'we'll build the rods you want' ... rather like the difference between 'made to measure' and 'bespoke' tailoring !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

AC,

Thank you, one winters day I will scour the Web for details of the milling machines.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well, the rod arrived this morning, and it's magnificent !!!

I hope, at some point, to rig up something which will allow me to take comparative photographs of all 4 rods test curves, and those of my two B. James Avocets.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”