ANOTHER 'Festival' !!!!!

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

ANOTHER 'Festival' !!!!!

Post by AshbyCut »

What a day !!!

A friend on this wonderful forum spotted an auction lot that he thought I might be interested in ... at an auction house too far away from him but quite local to me.

Listed in the catalogue as "Keeleys Festival split cane fishing rod, another split cane rod and five fishing reels," with an estimate for the lot at '£40 to £60.'

I went to the viewing day on Saturday and ... it was a Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Festival' !!!!!

The auctioneer started asking for bids of £50 ... and got no response ... so dropped to £30, which I bid. There was a counter bid of £32 ... so I went £35 ... and silence. The hammer went down, and I settled up with the cashier for £42.58p which included all auction charges. Something of a result, I think you'll agree.

The rod is complete, though does need a bit of tidying up. It has the wrong tip guide ... which makes the tip look short in the photo ... but it isn't. It's been over-varnished, and there's a chip in the varnish on the signature so the 'S' in 'Sealey's' is missing ... hence the guess at the name in the catalogue, and probably why I got it so cheaply !!! The cane looks in good condition under the varnish, the handle is good, and it's as straight as the proverbial !!! There are matching marks on all the ferrules.

Tincture time !!!!! Hurrah.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: ANOTHER 'Festival' !!!!!

Post by Shed_Monkey »

What a bargain - looks like a smasher to me!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

It only made £42 because it was waiting for its rightful owner, Well done Mal :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Well done Mal. Another bargain!!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

And what were the five reels?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:21 pmAnd what were the five reels?
A Milward's Nottingham style, an Allcock's Aerialite, a plastic 'FR.1' fly reel (Made in England), an Intrepid 'Rimfly Regular,'

... and a very basic metal (Tokoz/Eastern European ???) pressed metal centrepin with a non-removable line guard for right hand wind.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”