AUCTION PURCHASE

The Precision Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

AUCTION PURCHASE

Post by John Harding »

Good evening everyone,

I had another bit of luck at an auction last week, in the lot I purchased there were four rods and two nice wooden centre pin reels. Two of the rods were of no particular interest, one was an un-named fibre glass float rod and the other seemed to be made up of bits from various rods, the rings and fittings should come in useful though.

The other two rods though are quite interesting and may be of particular interest to our Precision Rods supremo (Mr. A.C.), one was a Sealey Precision rods 12ft Precise. It has been revarnished at some time and maybe the rings have been changed, they are high bells with a lined tip ring but not a lined but ring, should it have one ?. Whoever has varnished the rod has fortunately left the Precision Rods badge and the script which reads Sealey Precise (Tip action), is it usual to have tip action written as well as the model name ? The rod really needs varnishing again and the rings re whipping and also one or two sections of whippings are missing.

The final rod is also a Sealey Precision rod, the Match Winner JFT, the unusual thing with this rod is that it has a glass fibre tip section. The rod is in quite a poor state, the black paint has come of in places, there are some rings missing and the whippings are in a terrible state, I think though it is just about worth saving. The but and middle sections are both 53 inches in length and the fibre glass tip section is 42 inches which makes it approximately 12ft 4" in total, so I am not sure if it has been a 12ft or a 13ft rod origionaly. The male end of the tip section fits perfectly into the female end of the middle section, so what I suspect is that a previous owner has taken the cane tip out of the ferrule and fitted the fibre glass tip into it, or maybe it is another pricision rods special ? As the whippings on the two cane sections are badly discoloured I can't really tell if they are the same colour as the ones on the glass tip section, if I had to guess I would say they are not.

These are the two rods :-

These are the two wooden centre pin reels, there are no makers names on them, the smaller one is very nice and has a check mechanism, the larger one does not have a check.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,
John Harding.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: AUCTION PURCHASE

Post by Paul F »

Nice haul John, all useable by the looks of it :Thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: AUCTION PURCHASE

Post by AshbyCut »

A splendid result, Sir. I'm fairly sure that the glass tipped rod is a 13ft. version of the "Match Winner JFT" ( I wish I knew who or what JFT is/was), which has had it's life extended by the owner replacing the original tip,

The 'Precise' is very interesting ... the first one I've seen with the additional "Tip Action" wording ... which seems a bit superfluous as all the rods of this style had a 'tip action.' Obviously stripped and re-whipped at some point ... an interesting rod, none the less.

Welcome to the 'Precision' family ! :Hat:

(ps ... The 'Precise' was one of the first rods by this maker which I acquired ... and one of the first I worked on. Can it really be 4 years ago ??? )

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=3145
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”