Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Match Winner JFT' 13ft. 6in.

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Match Winner JFT' 13ft. 6in.

Post by AshbyCut »

Just been pushed to nearly the limit by one person bidding on a rod. My own fault, I suppose ... I should have kept quiet about Precision Rods ... so I have only myself to blame. I'd love to know who it was, though !!! :-)

Anyway ... just won (at the last gasp) a Precision Rods "R. Sealey's Match Winner J.F.T" ... a 13ft. 6in. 3 piece rod with a Spanish Reed butt, Spanish Reed spliced to whole cane centre, and whole cane spliced to split cane tip ... in fact, a 'proper' 50's 'match' rod. (It was actually listed as 'carbon or fibre glass with a split cane tip !)

I have no doubt that it needs work, but as I already have the 11ft. 3in. and 12ft. versions of this rod I needed to make up the set.

I REALLY wish I knew who or what 'J.F.T' was ... and how I wish it was 'F.J.T' !!!

(Mrs. AC. is currently clutching her head and rocking slowly back and forwards in her chair (again) !!! I may be on KP duty for a few days !!! :-( )

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Match Winner JFT' 13ft. 6in.

Post by Tengisgol »

Ha, I saw that and fancied it but thought, "no, I don't want to bid against AC!"
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Tengisgol wrote:Ha, I saw that and fancied it but thought, "no, I don't want to bid against AC!"
Check with me ... if I've got one I won't be bidding !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Bumble may know better but that blank, configuration and the handwritten script is very reminiscent of my 'Abbey' match rod. Lovely looking rod AC.

Good luck on finding out more.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Tengisgol wrote:Ha, I saw that and fancied it but thought, "no, I don't want to bid against AC!"
I saw it too, but didn't want to stop AC getting another rod to go carp fishing with :Chuckle:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Wagtail wrote:
I saw it too, but didn't want to stop AC getting another rod to go carp fishing with :Chuckle:
:laugh: Don't tempt him! He's a specimen hunter now :fishing1:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Well done Mal. I saw that too and almost gave you a call to make sure you'd spotted it.
Congratulations on your new PB carp, hope the top joint recovers from the experience! :Chuckle:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

It certainly was not me bidding against you AC - I would not be so bold.

However, it certainly has the appearance of a nice rod and I wish you all the best with it.

Trickydicky3
Stickleback

Post by Trickydicky3 »

Sealey Match-winner FT 13ft 6in.

I recently bought one of these at auction in a large bundle and didn't know it was in the bundle. I had bought the bundle because I had seen a hardy split cane fly rod that was hidden in the group that was all tied together, ( I actually purchased 63 rods plus bags, brass reels , nets, and boxes of mixed tackle).

The question I would like to ask is, can you recomend me to the tradesman I need to bring the rod back to its old self.

Many thanks

Richard Kent

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Trickydicky3 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:20 pm Sealey Match-winner FT 13ft 6in.

I recently bought one of these at auction in a large bundle and didn't know it was in the bundle. I had bought the bundle because I had seen a hardy split cane fly rod that was hidden in the group that was all tied together, ( I actually purchased 63 rods plus bags, brass reels , nets, and boxes of mixed tackle).

The question I would like to ask is, can you recomend me to the tradesman I need to bring the rod back to its old self.

Many thanks

Richard Kent
Welcome to TFF Richard. There are a number of rod restorers out there but I, and a fair number of other members, use the wonderful skills and knowledge of Wallys Cast, another forum member.

I fettle with reels but rods are beyond my skills. Though, should you decide to try rod restoration yourself, you’ll find a lot of people willing to give useful advice here.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”