R. Sealey's "Tudor Carp."

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

R. Sealey's "Tudor Carp."

Post by AshbyCut »

This is one of three rods I collected at Redditch today (many thanks Fredline, Sir :Hat: ) badged as 'Bernard Sealey & Co.,' so later in the life of this company than those badged with Bernard Sealey's registered trading name of 'Precision Rods.'

This one is a two piece, 10ft. split cane rod with a 26 inch cork shive handle.

(((I've checked it against the taper of the "Precision Rods R. Sealey's Marsden," their version of Richard Walker's Mk. IV carp rod.))) IGNORE THIS ALTOGETHER !!! I can only claim to have been overcome by excitement !!! Having rechecked my figures I can confirm that the 'Marsden' is a Mk IV Avon ... NOT a Mk IV Carp !!!!! It's my age, I tell you ... Nurse ... where's my medication !!!

The 'Tudor Carp' is 0.194in. (4.92mm) just below the tip guide, and 0.514in. (13.06mm) just above the handle ... whereas the "Marsden" is .137in. (3.50mm) and .436in. (11.07mm) taken at the same places.

It's great to have them side by side.

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by AshbyCut on Sun May 15, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: R. Sealey's "Tudor Carp."

Post by Lea Dweller »

AshbyCut wrote:This is one of three rods I collected at Redditch today (many thanks Fredline, Sir :Hat: ) badged as 'Bernard Sealey & Co.,' so later in the life of this company than those badged with Bernard Sealey's registered trading name of 'Precision Rods.'

This one is a two piece, 10ft. split cane rod with a 26 inch cork shive handle. I've checked it against the taper of the "Precision Rods R. Sealey's Marsden," their version of Richard Walker's Mk. IV carp rod, and it's more powerful altogether ... rather like a 'stepped up carp.'

The 'Tudor Carp' is 0.194in. (4.92mm) just below the tip guide, and 0.514in. (13.06mm) just above the handle ... whereas the "Marsden" is .137in. (3.50mm) and .436in. (11.07mm) taken at the same places.

It's great to have them side by side.

Image Image

Image Image
Mal, It was wonderful to see the delight on your face when you collected the rods from the "Wicked Wicked" Fredline, it is great that you were able to add to your collection of rods from a maker that you are clearly taken with! I really enjoyed today, looking forward now to the next Romsey!

Fredline
Tench

Re: R. Sealey's "Tudor Carp."

Post by Fredline »

Hi Mal, the 3 rods that you bought from me are in the best possible company. May your collection continue to grow. Fredline.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”