Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Festival' ... 2nd variant ?????

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Festival' ... 2nd variant ?????

Post by AshbyCut »

Though I've been away from the net on family duties for a while (and with extremely limited internet access) ... my 'radar' hasn't been turned off altogether.

I'm delighted to report that I have been able to find and acquire a Precision Rods "R. Sealey's Festival" ... the first of the three of this model which I hope to be able to say (one day) that I look after.

Though I am unable to share photographs at this moment in time, I can report that winging it's way to me is this 11ft., 3 piece, all split cane rod ... which I have been able to confirm from the man himself has been restored to his usual immaculate standard by the TFF's very own James (aka Andrew Davis !!!).

This example is part of the evolution of the 'Festival' rods ... being a simple taper tip section, a compound taper centre section, and a simple taper butt section. (I understand that the original design had simple tapers throughout ... and the last version had compound tapers to the tip and centre sections.)

I have heard this described as 'a sublime tench rod.'

It's not been confirmed by anything in writing yet, but I believe that the 'Festival' rod was originally designed to be shown at or to celebrate the "Festival of Britain" in 1951.

Photos will be forthcoming once the rod is in my sticky little mitts !!!!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Precision Rods 'R. Sealey's Festival' ... 2nd variant ??

Post by Paul F »

Sounds sublime Mal, eagerly await some photos :Thumb:

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Well done the Brigadier who ever told you it's a sublime Tench is so correct as I can personally vouch for that as I have one. The compound taper is a joy to be hold and if it's been given some TLC by our very own James what more could you ask for.
This could be be your best find ever as you digress into into the dark side of the force once again cannot wait for the pictures.
Bumble
Last edited by Bumble on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Great news Mal!

1st it's restored by Andrew, then the Brigadier becomes it's custodian, that's one very lucky rod :Hat:

Good to have you back with us Mal, You have been missed!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

glad you found one mel, the next quest, can i find a festival avon.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod arrived this morning from Timothy Payne of http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk ... and to say that I'm delighted is something of an understatement !

Of course, having been restored by Andrew (Davis), the standard is impeccable ... and the 'feel' of it in the hand confirms that it will fish as well as it looks. The 'look' is enhanced by the lovely polished alloy ferrule stoppers.

For those who don't know, the rod is a whole cane butt section, a compound taper split cane centre section (with the taper occurring between the first and second guides at the tip end), and a plain taper split cane tip.

By the way ... finding two delightful complimentary tench floats included by the vendor was a lovely surprise !

This is the fourth 11ft Precision Rod that I now own ... and it's fascinating to see just how little the weights vary between rods of quite different actions and tapers ...

Precision Rods “R Sealey’s Supreme” 11ft. 12.60 oz. (357 gr.)
Precision Rods “Severn Perfection” 11ft. 12.70 oz. (360 gr.)
Precision Rods “The Express” 11ft. 13.00 oz. (368 gr.)
Precision Rods “R. Sealey’s Festival” 11ft. 13.10 oz. (372 gr.)

Sadly, circumstances mean I won't be able to try it out for a couple of weeks ... but it's arrival has done much to cheer me up during a difficult time.

Image Image

Image Image

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Wow. Very impressive and a nice touch with th floats.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

its good to have you back mal as its been a bit quiet on the r sealey front but what a way to return,with a stunning looking rod, i just hope you can get out and use it soon
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice one Mal, glad you got a festival, and cracking looking rod too.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

That's an absolute beauty Mal.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”