Dual length, two-spliced Rodrill

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Dual length, two-spliced Rodrill

Post by Nobby »

That's just like mine....I had wondered if the black ratchet lever was correct as I'd been told they were chrome plated, but I think that was just the first version with the old style 'fly reel' centrepin and shallow boss.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Finally got round to trying it out,at the shorter length (too many trees) and it's quite a pleasant rod to use.
And it seems to have the Rodrill luck built in; although the first bite was from something far too big (carp), a couple of sensible-sized bream followed,and some embarrassingly small roach;

So, a "keeper"!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Love it, Vole. I always thought John Wilson's idea was really clever. Obviously it wasn't his or someone came up with it before he did.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Which other companies made a Dolly sectioned rod?

I'm still trying to Decifer the make of that Old rod I have.

Here is the rod again. I hope you don't mind it in your thread Vole. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Looks very old, Kingfisher. Any idea how old?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I'm afraid I haven't a clue MD. My brother in law used to manage the oxfam shop in our town, he phoned me one day asking me to come and make an offer on the rod, also a rudge rod "The champion" and a bamboo landind net handle all in an old rod holdall. I got the lot for £10.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I have a Jerry Smith 'scandinavian' long float rod with guides like that on the three different butts and extra mid section. I thought they were unique but that rod is obviously far older being mine is a carbon long rod. The advantage to be able to change from a 4 piece 16' rod to an 18 with an extra second section and short butt section then to add a long butt section to make a 20' rod all without breaking down the rig is good for in a match situation but i found the guides occasionally snagged the line so replaced them with normal lined butt guides. I don't have a picture of the rod before i changed it though. It's also got Brass counter weights on each butt which are removable and have 3/8 BSF threads so will fit some rubber button rods, not tried it yet oa cane rod but it may be worth a go. It's the only 20' rod i felt i could hold all day, have any cane rods had the same system ?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

The one i have is a fibre glass rod at 15ft with the adapter fitted to the handle to make the rod 11ft,
The Auger Dictator.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Vole wrote:Finally got round to trying it out,at the shorter length (too many trees) and it's quite a pleasant rod to use.
And it seems to have the Rodrill luck built in; although the first bite was from something far too big (carp), a couple of sensible-sized bream followed,and some embarrassingly small roach;

So, a "keeper"!
So where did the christening take place then Vole?

B.T.W ...I just happened to be walking :Wink: along the tow path at Cheshunt yesterday , beside the Old Bofors emplacement. And it just oozed Tincas....Lillies etc That long rod must just do the trick :geek: I shall be in touch soon maybe a Friday? for a tinca tickling trip. I shall come tooled up Two rods Buzzers :Scared:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Same place and trip as the crucial crock of (fool's) gold: Jack's Lake, Cockfosters. Also had a little tench on the other rod, only about 1 1/2 lb; a batch were stocked last year at about 1lb. With so many carp, they don't seem to prosper, and the "originals" had become lean and few.
What I can't figure out is how, with so many carp (for food) and pike (to keep the numbers down) the place isn't heaving with humungous great roach; but it isn't. Vexing. Must have a hemp'n'tares ('n'cheese) session there to convince myself.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”