Rodrill of London. The Rod with no name.

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Rodrill of London. The Rod with no name.

Post by Das-Bolt »

I finally got around to taking a few photos of my Rodrill. It's just under 11' with a 19" handle and fitted with low cradle rings whipped in Burgundy. The tip is quite sensitive, all the power comes lower down, the width at the butt just above the collar is very thick (as mentioned in a previous post). I've had Wye Barbel up to 8lb and it coped very well although the short handle took some getting used to. It had been restored prior to my ownership so I don't know if it originally had stand off rings or not, whoever restored it has done a fantastic job. I assume this was an early model as it is unnamed, you may be aware from reading other posts that later rods were named after Birds, 'Dipper' 'Mallard' etc. I would be interested to know if Rodrill made their own blanks as well as buying in. I've read Chapman supplied some cane. From what I can gather the factory in Tottenham employed three rod builders Bob Draper, Fred and Alf Williams, plus two women who did the varnishing and a book keeper in the office. Any further information not already covered elsewhere would be welcome. Image
Image Image

Harry H
Tench

Re: Rodrill of London. The Rod with no name.

Post by Harry H »

I have read on another forum that some Rodrill blanks were supplied by Southwell. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Re: Rodrill of London. The Rod with no name.

Post by Das-Bolt »

Hi H.
That's interesting because it did cross my mind but I had no further information to support my suspicions. The way the cane is flamed and the colour of the tip section (dark chocolate brown in places) is similar to an early c.1954 B. James 'Avocet' I used to own which almost certainly was a Southall blank.
Thanks for your reply. :Hat:

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”