First Trip Out ....but I forgot the Prawns

The Rodrill of London Rods forum.
DWW
Grayling

First Trip Out ....but I forgot the Prawns

Post by DWW »

Following my recent post on the forum for advice on buying a split cane Carp rod , I ended up with three ! ( Oh dear this traditional fishing tackle collecting is very appealing !)

One of the rods is a Rodrill's Carp rod . Eleven feet long and three piece . I had never heard of Rodrill's as a maker before , but the rod is fantastic , probably slightly more powerful than an Avon and a bit less than a Mk iV Carp .

I decided to try the rod out on the little syndicate water I have joined and see how it performed . I teamed it up with a Mitchell 410 reel which I was given by Oldtackle , and recently given a service by Nobby .

On arriving at the lake I started fishing for the smaller residents with float tackle and maggots , but all the while keeping an eye out for any moving carp . After a slow start the small Roach , Rudd and Perch started to make an appearance , but more importantly the Carp were starting to show around the branches of a nearby tree which draped into the water . So a few handfuls of maggots and some pellets went in next to the tree over a half hour period , then I moved in to fish the same area .

At this point I discovered that my now favourite bait of prawns hadn't made it out of the freezer ! ( Doh ! ) A quick check in the bait bag revealed some old hooker pellets so , they would have to do .

I float fished the shallow water next to the branches and the carp's activity grubbing about on the picnic I had provided them with soon had my float bouncing around and being knocked by the fish as they hit the line .

First capture ...
I went to catch another "wildie" and lost what felt like a bigger one on a hook pull .

The rod was great ! Really powerful and ideal for this type of fishing . Hopefully it will also be great for some Barbel fishing later in the year . The Mitchell was also excellent , and controlling the fishes runs with a finger on the roter worked really well . The reel is as smooth as a modern reel and will become my first choice for future trips I think ! ( thanks to Oldtackle and Nobby ! )

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: First Trip Out ....but I forgot the Prawns

Post by Loop Erimder »

Well done a nice looking fish
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Nice looking carp caught with a very nice looking rod Dave. I wonder if Nobby did some tunings to the reel? Sorry again Nobby, I should have serviced it before letting it go to give your back some rest, Sir. :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great account and a lovely fish. Interesting looking float, looks like an old plugged goose quill!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

A great way to test the new rod out well done on a good result and a lovely write up.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done that man.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

A cracker of a carp! Caught on lovely gear too!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Looks a lovely rod, and an 11 footer too. I'm sure it will work really well for the barbel later in the year.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Lovely fish, well done :Thumb:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Excellent news, rod and reel both christened with a fine fish.

Rodrill rods don't show up that often, but they always seem well-made and quite strong too, I've yet to find a fine-tipped light rod from them. They were made in Tottenham N15 in Collingwood Road and for a while in 1963 they also marketed Black Swan rods. Later rods often have names, usually of birds and I have some images of another transfer, a yellow one, but I don't know if it's later or earlier than the leaping fish...I suspect later for no good reason.

Old Tackle, the 410 just wanted a check-over I think....it was the other reels DWW had bought that were the problem...whole gears just rotted away in a Taiwan built 300A. They got replaced with 'real' gears from a 1954 Mitchell. Should last forever now.

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”