A E Rudge and sons "The Champion"

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: A E Rudge and sons "The Champion"

Post by Kingfisher »

The other rod you've posted could be an early Allcocks greenheart rod. If you look at the brass hardware at the bottom of the butt section you may find a maker's mark there. I'm no expert on greenheart, but it does have a reputation for splitting along the grain. Hopefully others with more experience of greenheart rods will be along to offer more information.
Sorry Paul I didn't really answer you properly about the second rod, I looked but could find "NO" makers marks of any description on it whatsoever. I found yesterday that the joint on the top section has come unstuck, so that will have to be opened up and glued. It's a big job for someone that's just getting into Rod restoration but I'm sure after reading this forum as much as I have in the past 4 days I can manage it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

If you post some pictures I'm sure you'll get some advice on how to go about the repair and restoration. I'm puzzled by your reference to a 'joint' on the top section though a picture would probably resolve my confusion. :think:

I see from another thread that you're planning to restore the rod to display rather than fish. That should make it an easier restoration as you don't have to worry about whether any repairs will stand up to use.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Please could anyone advise me on what guides to look out for to put on this rod. I'm on a budget but will be using the rod when I eventually get back to restoring it. I'd like agat type in metal "silver finish" if i can get hold of some.

I don't have the time to look now though, as I'm after the crows that have attacked my sheep again. :wink:

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I'm just posting this for myself really but it may be of use to others in the future....who knows?

After looking through my Allcocks catalogue 1955 I see Allcocks made a champion 13ft match rod, a stiff spanish reed rod with a spliced in tip to replace "the Gloria" which was a tad more expensive. I'm therefore wondering if this is A E Rudges copy of that rod with the same name....... "The Champion"? It looks to be built to the same specifications. The only difference being this was whipped in red where as the Allcocks "The Champion" was whipped in blue.

Izaak Walton

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I think I see some node whippings on the second rod, which rules out greenheart for the lower two joints, sadly the whole thing appears to be a series of accidents held together with spiral whippings; it looks like a strip-it-and-see job, but you may as well invest in a small bottle of "Gorilla" glue anyway... and lots of thread...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I'm one step ahead of you there Vole. Gorilla glue is waiting in the kitchen, where the Rayburn (Out of use since we had Oil CH installed) is making a very useful work bench for rod restoration.......whilst Mrs Kingfisher is away of course. :Scared:

The older darker rod, well I've done some homework on that. I think it's an old Hillman's rod which I think MGs has a later version of. See this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7480&hilit=bonkers+or+not

Mine has some delamination but I'm hoping to be able to fix that after I finish the AE Rudge rod now that I have a bit more time and the weather is inclement.

Edit... The second older rod is cane Vole, so you were right. I posted that post when I first came to this forum "A bit wet behind the ears" in my younger rod restoring days. :Wink:

Izaak Walton

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

'Struth, I should have checked the date(s)!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Vole wrote:'Struth, I should have checked the date(s)!

Sorry Vole, it's my fault for opening the original thread again.

I just wanted to make a note of what I'd found out this morning though.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Well, this has to be the longest restoration on the forum but I've finally finished the rod I started last summer.

She'd been put away, taken out again, bit's done here and there when I had nothing else to do.

I finished the middle section and varnished it, only for the varnish to crinkle. I restripped her back to bare cane again.

More things came along to keep me from finishing her but for me this wasn't a race, this was a step into something which "I thought" I'd never have the confidence or capability to do. I can still pick holes in my work but she looks a lot better than she did.

Now for the next one and I hope it doesn't take this long. :Hat:

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice KF. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”