This forum belongs to Peter Stone.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Pictures of Peter Stone

Post by Mark »

Peter Stone after dace on the Kennet.
Peter Stone.jpg
Picture courtesy of Mike Wilson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Pictures of Peter Stone

Post by Dave Burr »

Never heard a bad word said against Pete, he was a lovely bloke and a top angler. That's a great shot and shows the typical set up of the day.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Peter was before my time really, being only in my early thirties, I did however see him Tench fishing with Nick Fisher on 'screaming reels' in the 90's. He seemed like a game old chap and willing to take a joke, even donning a blonde wig as a disguise.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Dave spot on " great angler" there was a few of them around who became great friends Stone, Walker and Taylor to mention just a few they were light years ahead of their time with rigs and technique and always trying something new.
I have often wondered if they were around today and continued the way they were would they be classed as Traditionalist today.
Bumble

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Bumble wrote: I have often wondered if they were around today and continued the way they were would they be classed as Traditionalist today.
Bumble

The million dollar question...
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I only ever met Peter Stone the once and that was at the Red Letter Days book launch/signing. I had read his Gravel Pit Angling book cover to cover, time and time again as a kid and felt so honoured to finally meet this great man but it felt so odd that he was asking 'me' all about catfish yet he was one of the first anglers I saw a picture of holding a catfish. I have tried to find that picture again but have failed. The man in real life came across as a true gent' who had time for all and was so obviously still so keen to keep on absorbing and adding to his incredible wealth of angling knowledge.

As Dave said, I have never heard a bad word spoken or written about Peter Stone although a joke that used to go around in the early 80's tickled me at the time. It came about from his interest in taxidermy.

Q: Where is the best big bream venue in Oxfordshire?

A: Peter Stone's living room!

Well, it seemed funny at the time...

Okay, I'll get my coat.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Pic1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

:Thumb: Superb Gurn, thank you so much for that. Which book is it in, I couldn't find it this time around? :Beg:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That's from Come Fishing With Me Shaun, a delightful read.

I got the impression from Pete's writing that he was never afraid to ask. I recall him talking about waggler fishing with a mate who was catching whilst Pete struggled but, when his mate adjusted Pete's shotting by a tiny amount, he began to catch and commented that he had much to learn and would concentrate on waggling to get it right. Because of that attitude and were he to have stuck in his middle age, I am convinced that Pete would use all of the modern tackle and methods that he felt complimented his needs and style.

He was a great innovator and opportunist, when a certain set of circumstances once arose he caught a chub on a single grain of hemp on a size 6 hook! Legend :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Thanks Dave, it must be elsewhere as well as I don't recall reading 'Come Fishing With Me'.

Remind me in a few weeks before the Priory Barbel week-end to pop in the disc of the Richard Walker Anniversary conference I promised to bring along for you to have a watch of.

P.S. well done on the reel you won last night. I have a Hardy Altex on the way to me at the moment.

Return to “Peter Stone”