BB's Brendon Chase the TV series

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
JohnClyde
Perch

BB's Brendon Chase the TV series

Post by JohnClyde »

I'm sure some of you may remember this TV adaptation of BB's book being on TV. I am just a little too young to have watched this first time around. Anyway, I got a copy from www.retrotvondvd.co.uk and noticed that the producer was one Ted Chanell of Oliver Kite films fame. Its great fun! Catchiest theme tune ever composed.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: BB's Brendon Chase the TV series

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

That reminds me, I started reading this book to my baby whilst she was in the bump. Now she's outside I'll have to resume. Quite enjoying it, never knew there was a TV series based upon it.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Loved it on TV as a child.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I only ever caught the last two episodes of this 31 years ago......So Ive been a long time waiting!Hope me sons enjoy it :hahaha:

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

JC. What's the quality like?
I got hold of a copy a year or two back but it was hardly watchable.
I absolutely loved this series and the book is one of the best children's book ever written. Up there with Wind in the Willows.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Describing quality's difficult. I'm pretty tolerant of poor quality but its a lot better than the clips currently on youtube, which as you say are unwatchable. The dvds are taken from a video and are alright. The last episode tracks in and out a bit but otherwise its very watchable.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Just found this thread, and have ordered a copy. Hoping the quality is fairly reasonable. I remember this programme being on TV, when I was 13 or 14 years old. I had been going fishing for about 7 years by this time and had been after carp for only about two years. I remember one part of one episode where one of the boys threw a piece of bread into a pond and a carp rose up from the depths to take it. Among my friends this was the most talked about part of the programme at school the next day. We were also hugely impressed by the character of Smokoe Joe (and his nose!) and most of us fantasised about running away to live the woods ourselves (mainly because none of us were very keen on school). Really looking forward to watching this for a bit of nostalgia.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Pike fishing scene is great too. Id only ever watched one maybe two episodes at the time in 1981, and enjoyed watching them all ( over quite along time) but had read the book and other BB stuff over the years.

It all kinda led the way on me fishing to this day.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

Is this the series where the boys pike fish with gorges at "The Blind Pool"? I remember seeing something like this when I was a mad keen angler schoolboy. I can still recall the theme tune,happy days.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

This is one of my favourite books and once that tune from the tv series gets into your head it is there all day. If you go to Youtube and enter - Brendon Chase Dutch - you can see the whole series over 26 parts in HD. You do not even notice the Dutch subtitles. Enjoy Fredline.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”