"BB's birthday"

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Jardine
Perch

"BB's birthday"

Post by Jardine »

"BB" was born on this day in 1905, he was was one of the most influential British fishing authors of the 20 th century.
"Confessions of a Carp Fisher" is still one of my favorite fishing books. I don't think that any other book has come close to capturing the magic of the early days of carp fishing.
I still have my copy from 1973 that my sister got me as a Christmas present. I used to see it in the bookcase at Ashpoles of Islington and I longed to have a copy. My sister knew this and got it for me, I read it over the Christmas holidays and was totally hooked.
A big thank you "BB".

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: "BB's birthday"

Post by Mark »

Yes it is a lovely book, I think its about time I read it again.

A toast is called for tonight. :cheers:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

BB, country gentleman and fine author :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Amen to that.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

As my wife often says "Who are you toasting now?"
BB today, hopefully another anniversary tomorrow.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

will toast tonight, as a child got fishermans bedside book as a gift,read it again and again

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

He's pretty much at the top of my list of angling greats I would have liked to have met. Happy Birthday BB :Hat:

I was fortunate enough to buy a copy of the 1st Ed of Confessions of a Carp Fisher, 30 years ago from a book seller who didn't know what it was and as it wasn't yet priced said you can have it for £3 and then gave be an extra 10% discount! :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Jardine for reminding us, I will raise my glass to B.B
Tight lines DaveImage

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Gone but never forgotten, :cheers:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You'd never guess it ... :Wink: ...but I simply love the lines in his excellent book 'Confessions of a Carp Fisher' ... "I believe there are some who fish for nothing but gudgeon. (Gudgeon scratching used to be a popular pastime on the Thames when anglers wore blazers and straw hats.) All are river men and rather nice, fond of summer evenings and camp sheathings, willows and weedy scented weirs, and a tall glass of ale at the day's end. They (the gudgeon snatchers) are, I think, a partly vanished race."

Fortunately, only partly ... there are a few of us left, if you know where to find us ... and I, for one, will be raising a glass tonight !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”