BB's Reel

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Re: BB's Reel

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

A little more information which may be of interest:

Firstly, there is an explanation how both 'BB' and Dick Walker can be correct, when referring to the material from which 'BB's' reel was manufactured. My (non-angling) close friend, Roy Cross, is well versed in engineering matters, including metallurgy, and also has great experience of machining aluminium alloys. When discussing with him the likelyhood of alloy swarf catching fire, he reported he'd witnessed such an event when duralumin was being turned; but it wasn't the metal itself that burst into flames, the hot swarf igniting the turning lubricant namely, as Mike Wilson correctly pointed out, paraffin. Believe it or not, Roy said this occurred way back around 1950, at about the time Dick Walker made 'BB's' reel. Back in those days turners were still experimenting with different cutting tool angles for these then novel materials, and not fully understanding the need for a steep top rake angle. Therefore, the swarf generated being much hotter as a result and easily hot enough to ignite paraffin.

Secondly, the following picture probably shows the 'other' very large centrepin reel Dick Walker made for himself, the brother to 'BB's', and later presented to Jack Thorndike.

When comparing the latches this one looks different to the simple circular boss on the 'BB' reel.

The rod and landing net pictured here are the items used in the capture of Clarissa, and also made by Dick Walker of course.

Besties,

Len.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Terrific series of post's Len, such an important part of this branch of our fishing heritage. Re THE reel, truly a "whopper". Best regards,

Ted.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Another interesting study of a picture Len.

As if the reel alone was not of great interest in itself, a second existing example of an engineers invention.

It may also be observed here :-

The left hand net arm perhaps not surprisingly seems to have gained a set, although it may be just a camera distortion ?

The Clarissa rod appears to sport a set of lined rings throughout.

I always, perhaps naively it seems, believed the B James version to be a close replica to the original.

I feel the need for further refererence.

Also a well researched explanation for the non magnesium conflagration.

Here be heaps of enlightenment. Thanks be to the enlightener. He known as Len.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Thanks for the appreciative comments.

It is believed those early MkIV's made by Dick Walker himself did, indeed, sport lined rings throughout. Certainly the MkIV Dick made for 'BB' had such rings as can be seen in the accompanying picture:-

This being another shot by son, Tony, on the day 'BB's' Walker made rod and reel was passed on to me. The lady seen here being, of course, 'BB's' daughter, Angela.

Perhaps the B.James production model MkIV's had lined butt and tip rings only to save on price.

Besties,

Len.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I like the facility to expand pictures on here.
It has enabled the spotting of the RW rod sporting a ferrule with a spigot.
A nice touch although rather retro thinking for the time I'd have thought.
A further expanding of something self didnt know of.
Always interesting. Ta again.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Image Image Image Image Hi Len, I have just purchased the reel shown in your picture of Richard Walkers net and rod. There is absolutely no doubt that it is the same reel. 5 3/4" , telephone latch and an optional ratchet. There is no brake which the BB original had.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Huttojon
Minnow

Post by Huttojon »

i went to £125 on this reel and then had doubts - well done .JohnH

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”