List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Mushy »

Thanks Jim, think I'll consider it a birth reel now !! and given that the carp it will hopefully pull in could well be a 50, or so, year old leney, it could be some moment this coming season !

Best Fishes
Mushy

Forever the optimist !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Mushy the good news as far as dating your reel is concerned is that the 'sloped back' Mark Six was first made in October 1961 and sold for the princely sum of Seven pounds ten shillings. The earliest versions were painted black with a folding handle (JWY 548) to distiguish them from the Mark Five that had the older solid handle. But as I have stated at great length and very probably to the great boredom of those not interested in such minutiae of detail, the handles are interchangeable with other models.....such fun!

Also in support of your hoped for 1961 date the initial models were sold without line rollers in the Bale Arm, though the later versions were. There are two versions of spool on these early Mark Six reels, the standard drum with a capacity of 200 yards of 6lb line and the slightly rarer SD version. SD stands for Small Drum and was aimed more at the Match Style Angler. Yours looks to me like the standard version, so looking good for your hoped for date of manufacture!

Later versions of the Mark Six were painted all Blue or all Gold, however, just to complete the joy that is the Ambidex Marque, the colours were often inter-mixed, for instance blue flyer with black body or vice versa. Don't get me on the hybrids again as discussions of this nature can cause weeping and much mouth frothing amongst the sad losers that attempt to collect Ambidexes.

If you are really lucky on removal of the side plate there could be a date of manufacture etched into the body. If so I know the naughty so-and-so who was responsible for doing this but more importantly will help you date the reel exactly. Word of warning though, take care when removing the plate as it has been known for some bits to come out inadvertently, resulting in much swearing and jumping about trying to re-fit them in the right place, if you are not familiar with the internal lay-out of these reels!

So, without more concrete detail your 'Slope Back' Mark Six was made between 1961-1964, as said by Jim but as stated above later versions had a line roller in the bale arm and various colour schemes as described above. Therefore armed with this knowledge it would be safe to assume your reel was made between 1961-1962, possibly very early 1963.

Now a word of warning.....

St Nobby was very nearly a normal human being, though he did have a curious glint in his eye, until he made the mistake of trying to collect as many versions of the Ambidex as he could...he has since turned totally insane, insolvent and fettles Mitchell Reels to an OCD level whilst talking to himself loudly and attending Romsey Vintage Tackle Fairs.

Take heed of the example of poor St Nobby and try not to get too involved with the Devils Reel. You know it makes sense!

I hope the above helps you Mushy.....

My name is Fat Mole and I'm addicted to Ambidexes and sit at the right hand of Satan..........

Mole Power!!! :Sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Many thanks Moley, that is a most comprehensive discourse on the subject of my '61 Ambidex (my mind is now made up!) and versions in that era........I can tend, like most piscators, to obsessive behaviour and am in danger of straying to the dark side on the history of this wonderful tackle of ours - only one remedy, to fish at every available opportunity !!

Thanks again.
Mushy
Best Fishes
Mushy

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Now men,

I've just bought this on eBay and really know nothing about them, but for eight pounds and postage I thought it worth a punt, my question is are they any good? Any info on the usual, ie line, situation and species.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

The Deluxe is a model all of its own - there were 2 variants (the one your link is to is the less rare Type Two 1964-65). Its a mistake to think that only one model of Ambidex was available at any given time - in the '64 Catalogue, for example, you see the Deluxe, Mark Six, Seven and Duco B.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

" Light rusting"...classic!

Those late Mitchell type bail arms are a git for rusting, but that is NOT light!

Rare old reels though. Although this is the second type of de-Luxe offered I think there were three versions in total, in that the later ones came in a full blown kit with tools and a spare reels, but there also seems to be a model offered in a smaller box without any spares or tools. It's not listed in the Allcocks Guides of the times, but it might be in a Youngs catalogue if one ever turns up.
I recently worked on a near minter in a box, clearly stamped with de-Luxe over the Ambidex printing and that box was too small to have anything else in it as well as clearly being smaller than the Sealey Mark Nine with tools and spool....so I suppose that makes FOUR versions really.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Snoekjaeger wrote:Hi,

I had my doubt about the Nr. 1 with Prov patent reference, but I found one on the internet, see pic attached.

I am also confused with the one on the other picture, not marked Mk 1 but with full bail etc.

Regards,
Jean-Paul
The one with the full bail arm below is a No3 Type2
it,s mine, here,s a few more pic,s

SaubleJohn

Post by SaubleJohn »

I have an Ambidex and am trying to identify its year of manufacture. The rotating head is not smooth but corrugated. The face simply says The Casting Reel. It does not have No. 1 or 2 or any other designation on it. It is also a full bail not a half bail. Can anyone help with age? I have seen charts that sort of put it around 1959 but I would like to know for sure. Let me know if you can help. It is also a Golden colour.

John

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

SaubleJohn wrote:I have an Ambidex and am trying to identify its year of manufacture. The rotating head is not smooth but corrugated. The face simply says The Casting Reel. It does not have No. 1 or 2 or any other designation on it. It is also a full bail not a half bail. Can anyone help with age? I have seen charts that sort of put it around 1959 but I would like to know for sure. Let me know if you can help. It is also a Golden colour.

John
Any chance of a photo John.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SaubleJohn

Post by SaubleJohn »

Fred
My model Ambidex is a humpbacked. The handle is one solid piece - non folding. I am not sure what you mean by the spool. I wish I could include a photo but this site keeps telling me that the photo is too large. I am not sure how to reduce its size. Does this site reduce photo size somehow? As for a photo - on page 11 there is a perfect example of my ambedix. It is gold in colour, has no No.1 ect. markings on it, is full bail, the handle in that photo is folding type unlike mine - mine is fixed in a permanent ready to turn position. Spool looks like mine and says only - The Casting Reel.

John

http://tinypic.com/r/34iig5y/8

I hope tiny pics works
Last edited by SaubleJohn on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”