List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Nobby »

I've got a pair of them, ....for sale actually. Inside they are the same as the Mk9 with a huge over-stroked crank and a notch in the con-rod to miss the coverplate screw as well as an elongated trench in the coverplate for the small end peg. All that was done to give the reels the throw to suit the new spool dimensions to aid casting distance.

There's a thread on here somewhere where I stripped a Mk9 down with photos ....

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... =mark+nine

The Match has a wider spool and therefore a special bail arm to clear it....finding one without rust is a life-quest.....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I had thought that the 1FP and the 2FP were made consecutively but I recently saw a Youngs catalogue on eBay ( should have bid for it!) that showed there was a 1FP, a 2FP and a 3FP all made at the same time. The difference was the spool capacities, not the year of manufacture!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:I had thought that the 1FP and the 2FP were made consecutively but I recently saw a Youngs catalogue on eBay ( should have bid for it!) that showed there was a 1FP, a 2FP and a 3FP all made at the same time. The difference was the spool capacities, not the year of manufacture!

"Should have bid on it"
I did :whistle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Good man! There's no end of little discoveries to me made in these old catalogues....and Lord knows Young's ones are rare enough!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:Good man! There's no end of little discoveries to me made in these old catalogues....and Lord knows Young's ones are rare enough!
Also lists the number 4 :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

So it does, I see it mentioned at the bottom of the 1FP, 2FP page but it doesn't give a line capacity on the other page...any clue what differentiates the 4??

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Nobby wrote:So it does, I see it mentioned at the bottom of the 1FP, 2FP page but it doesn't give a line capacity on the other page...any clue what differentiates the 4??
Increased line capacity over all other model's
Improved mechanical movement
Simplicity of assembly
Flexible automatic pickup completely over drum
Line drums and component parts constructed from corrosion resisting materials eliminating friction when casting.
Superbly finished in multi coloured durable materials.
This is what they have listed as improvements.
They do put a note also do not use heavy grease on any part of the reel as it will impair the smooth action and efficiency of the reel!
The grease in mine was like tar!!!
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Interesting..I wonder what was different in truth? Might it just be spools?

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Here's a prototype closed face ambidex from 1964 I was shown today by Gary at Mill tackle that he was given by Jim Young. He kindly agreed to it being put on here.

Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Wow!

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”