List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Julian
Salmon

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Julian »

I understand (kind courtesy of Nobby ) that my Ambidex No.2 pictured above may be a very early model as the anti reverse lever is different to the normal one, cosequently making it rare and possibly valuable.
Anyone else have any ideas about it?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Nobby is indeed correct (curse you Nobby! Now he'll never let me have it cheaply.....) this was in fact the first anti-revers mechanism that Youngs used (before the much more common tead drop shaped lever).
Jim

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The VFC wrote:Nobby is indeed correct (curse you Nobby! Now he'll never let me have it cheaply.....) this was in fact the first anti-revers mechanism that Youngs used (before the much more common tead drop shaped lever).
Jim
So how much do you think it might be worth ? ( PS I'm not selling it .....yet)
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mark,
After reading your post I got my late grandad's reel out, its a No1 with half bale arm so I'm presuming the 1947 model you list, its a brown metallic finish with the name plates in dark brown bordered in gold as is the lettering, says patents pending (in numerous countries inc GB!) with the number 582695. Price on its box shows £6-17-6p, seems a lot for those days, as other readers day the small handle makes for hard work but as also mentioned its solidly built.

I can remember watching my grandad catch a 5lb plus bream at Kingston on Thames on the Canbury Gardens stretch, he used it in conjunction with a 7ft hollow glass rod ledgering with maggots. I have not used it for years but will give it a go this year.

Tight lines
Dave

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Rutland Rod wrote:Mark,
After reading your post I got my late grandad's reel out, its a No1 with half bale arm so I'm presuming the 1947 model you list, its a brown metallic finish with the name plates in dark brown bordered in gold as is the lettering, says patents pending (in numerous countries inc GB!) with the number 582695. Price on its box shows £6-17-6p, seems a lot for those days, as other readers day the small handle makes for hard work but as also mentioned its solidly built.

I can remember watching my grandad catch a 5lb plus bream at Kingston on Thames on the Canbury Gardens stretch, he used it in conjunction with a 7ft hollow glass rod ledgering with maggots. I have not used it for years but will give it a go this year.

Tight lines
Dave
There is some history with that reel Dave.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Hi Mark,

I have recently bought a rather battle scarred Ambidex Mark 6, pic below, not sure if this is the new shape and so a 64, rather hoping it might be a 61 model as that is the year of my birth ! can you offer any view ? I love the reel in any case seems to function well and a lovely bit of history

Ambidex 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Better picture this time

Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They did three reel shapes Mushy, I'll show you all three on Monday when you pick your rod up.

Yours is the middle one, indeed I have an identical reel to yours in black.

Prior to that was the 'humpbacked' ones, with a different crank inside and after that they did the 'swan-necked' ones with a swooping stem going from the back of the reel, forwards up to the reel foot.

Here's an album of some:
There's 93 images here.....I won't live long enough to catalogue them all!

http://s259.beta.photobucket.com/user/n ... 3132175733

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Thanks Nobby, so if its the middle one, could it be a 1961 production ?
Best Fishes
Mushy

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

What a fine looking reel Mushy (I think I may recognise it!?) - it is indeed the slope back model, which without line roller almost certainly dates it to '61-'64 (when the swan neck was released).
ATB
Jim

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”