List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thanks Nobby. :Hat:

I couldn't believe my luck when the reel started turning as it should. Initially it was like trying crank start an old car. A lot of reluctance and then; whooosh! Then it got easier and easier. I remembered one of your posts saying that you thought that you had cracked it and then when taking the reel off the shelf some months later it had gone stiff again. So I have been turning the reel at every opportunity. I kept making excuses to go down into the basement last night and give it a twirl. Then today I have been working in the loft and had to exit through the basement to get to the bathroom where the other end of the work was, and in passing I gave it a turn or two every time. I am still expecting it to return to 'Ambidex default stiff' at any time, but at least I now know how to release it.

I checked it ten minutes ago and it is still loose and smooth and now doesn't jam in reverse. :dance2:

As I said; I am very far from being technically competent but for me it is the Tufnol (I spelt it right this time) that is the key to all this. I don't suppose that Watermole + could be persuaded to manufacture some replacement bronze gears for all us frustrated Ambidex fans? :Hahaha:

Andyman
Bleak

Post by Andyman »

Recently acquired a nice example of a No 2 FP with folding handle. This came with original box, receipt and leaflet.
I thought some of you may be interested in the leaflet which details the Nos 1, 2 & 3 FP variants so I have scanned the pages as below.
Of particular interest to me was mention of a quick release spool/tensioner on the No 3 reel and list of the spool/line drum part numbers for each model. Also the folding handle was available on all models at extra cost.

Hope this is useful to somebody out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's All Too Beautiful but Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I wonder if anyone can provide me with some information about this reel please? I’ve not seen an ambidex with a brass plate on both sides before.
Also not seen one with the patent number on the tension plate either.

Reading another thread, I see that Ambidexman has kindly Given a date for these ( thanks to the patent number under the tension plate), as 1947-50.
Made good use of it today:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have just got another Ambidex and found this post really interesting.... saved lots of the photos and info from you all. Thank you.
this link...
It could well be old hat to most of you but some might not have seen it.
I'm looking forward to using "Made In England" as a compleat outfit... rods an all.
just need to check on the Origin of my line though..

https://www.vintagetackle.net/JWYoung/Ambidex.htm#NO4
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Just noticed that the half bale arm in the later Ambidex I have ( shown above on this page and Tentatively dated 1946-7, is considerably thicker than my earlier version ( the provisional patent version 1945-6-ish. Left on photo). Also the tension plate face lettering is not painted on the later version. Saving on paint perhaps? I recall having another early version where the half bale arm was a bit more flexible than was desirable, so it makes sense that they increased the thickness. A small point, but may be of some interest.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

Well here’s mine, purchased this week to match up with my recently acquired cane rod…
Not sure on the model. Would anyone happen to know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BeardyRich wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:31 pm Well here’s mine, purchased this week to match up with my recently acquired cane rod…
Not sure on the model. Would anyone happen to know?
It's a small photo, but looks like a blue body with a grey flyer and nylon spool ... looks like a Mark 4.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

That’s brilliant. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BeardyRich wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 pm That’s brilliant. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Not mine, Sir ... that of Elwyn Attwood ... author of that invaluable reference book "J. W. Young & Sons. A century of the art of making fishing reels."

I'm just good at looking things up ! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

I have just purchased an Ambidex mark 5. It has normal wear for it’s age and black in colour.

Very similar, to the mark 6 pictured by JohnnyP 18/10/2011 :- blue writing.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”