Spool from early model?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Spool from early model?

Post by Delaminated »

I was looking for a handle part in a box of Ambidex spares that I have had for years when my attention was taken by a small black finished spool.
I have tried to show the size when shown against a spool from a no.1 casting reel.

The black spool is 52mm in diameter as against the 57mm of the no.1 casting reel.
Both spools are marked JWY170.

Would any member know what model the black spool may have come from?
The bottom flange edge of the black spool still shows traces of black finish so I don’t think it has been reduced in size post factory.ImageImageImage

Regards Tom.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Spool from early model?

Post by Nobby »

That's extraordinarily narrow , I think it must come from another reel entirely. Kast-Easy???

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

I think the Kast-easy spool was made from Bakelite or a similar plastic compound, and the profile in depth and diameter is not similar.

The spool has the JWY170 moulded on its inner surface, near the toothed clutch ring, so probably not the first model as size is against it.

The size is smallish, but the style and quality is pure Ambidex, so yet another mystery from the Youngs stable.

Regards Tom.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

The JWY 170 line drum was fitted to the second model of the Number One size Ambidex Casting Reel. The line drums on these models were finished in black and have the serrations on the underside (the very first models had no serrations).

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Thank you Ambidexman for identifying the reel model my 52mm spool comes from. I thought it might be an early one from Youngs.
Now all I need to do is to locate a decent matching body.....

Regards Tom

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”