Guilty pleasures

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Guilty pleasures

Post by Nobby »

Yes, it's definitely not the same brown on the MkII, more like a flowerpot colour.

I think they did keep the metal knob throughout, so Youngs were keeping them in stock just for Millwards!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 am Onanism :tea:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: I just have to ask, in the Biblical sense or the modern sense?
I have nothing further to add :eyebrow:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:03 am
Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 am Onanism :tea:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: I just have to ask, in the Biblical sense or the modern sense?
I have nothing further to add :eyebrow:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :surrender: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:27 am Yes, it's definitely not the same brown on the MkII, more like a flowerpot colour.

I think they did keep the metal knob throughout, so Youngs were keeping them in stock just for Millwards!
Cheers Nobby!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:19 pm
Nobby wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm Somehow Milward always got the old style body to the reel, long after others were supplied with a modified shape. For that matter they got 'wrinkle-finish' paint long after that was discontinued too....and in brown! And their name stamped on, not a badge.

Even when they went over to a Trudex called the Floatcraft MkII they still got the reel in brown, but by then it was an 'ordinary' paint.

Clearly they were favoured customers, maybe?
That’s really interesting Nobby, thanks. Do you know if they carried on using the metal ratchet switch? I’ve seen about half a dozen and they have all had it. One of the reasons I prefer the early type Rapidex/Floatcraft.

I’ve still only seen one Floatcraft Mk2 and the brown looks seriously washed out on that.

Phil
The mk11 is slightly lighter in colour than the Floatcraft

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

I've got a Mitchell 810 in a fetching brown. Somehow it seems more traditional than the black 300 and Match I've got.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 am
Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:19 pm
Nobby wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm Somehow Milward always got the old style body to the reel, long after others were supplied with a modified shape. For that matter they got 'wrinkle-finish' paint long after that was discontinued too....and in brown! And their name stamped on, not a badge.

Even when they went over to a Trudex called the Floatcraft MkII they still got the reel in brown, but by then it was an 'ordinary' paint.

Clearly they were favoured customers, maybe?
That’s really interesting Nobby, thanks. Do you know if they carried on using the metal ratchet switch? I’ve seen about half a dozen and they have all had it. One of the reasons I prefer the early type Rapidex/Floatcraft.

I’ve still only seen one Floatcraft Mk2 and the brown looks seriously washed out on that.

Phil
The mk11 is slightly lighter in colour than the Floatcraft
Thanks Lee. That is noticeably lighter!

Phil

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”