Modern Youngs reel Purist Lightweight BJ etc.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Modern Youngs reel Purist Lightweight BJ etc.

Post by Nobby »

"I’m assuming the hammer price would be then plus commission on top; something to think about.

I’d just be conscious of and keep an eye on weight if you’re planning to trot and hold the rod all day."

Quite so, and that can be quite high these days...and you further have to pay VAT ( at 20%) on top of the fees, but not the purchase price.

A winning bid of £100 will actually see you pay £124 exactly!

Some interesting facts about books and artwork that goes for over £1000 here:

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/terms-conditions

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am The John Wilson reel is my favourite trotting reel out of all the modern J.W.Youngs reels.

Wal.
I’ll second that Wal :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have used my 2041 (?) Purist for light trotting, heavy water trotting and have had no issues with it. The bearing roars a bit - like they all do - but the line lay is good, it spins for ages and it is more than capable of using it with a 6 or 8lb line for bigger fish. If you are watching the pennies and want a 'one reel does all', it's a very good choice.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

If you're happy with a bearing centrepin the Raven reels from Canada are superb. My favourite is the Matrix fully ported XL 5" which is my "go to" reel for Grayling fishing:

The extra diameter spool means you spend more time fishing and less time reeling in. Another advantage I've found with them is that if you get any debris in the reel a quick "dunk" in the water and you're good to go.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Rod has stated in his opening post that he would like to buy a Youngs reel.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Rod and Annette
Minnow

Post by Rod and Annette »

Coral Maestro wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:18 pm If you're happy with a bearing centrepin the Raven reels from Canada are superb. My favourite is the Matrix fully ported XL 5" which is my "go to" reel for Grayling fishing:

The extra diameter spool means you spend more time fishing and less time reeling in. Another advantage I've found with them is that if you get any debris in the reel a quick "dunk" in the water and you're good to go.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Lightweight as I think it will be the best balance for a 13ft Acolyte Ultra which I'm planning to pair it with. I'm afraid it has to be a Youngs reel though. I had a look at the Raven though. Impressive tool!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Looking at sales of the Raven, I notice adverts for replacement bearings. That doesn't bode well.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I hope you're happy with whatever choice you make. The Youngs reels are well made and should give many years of pleasurable use.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:02 am Looking at sales of the Raven, I notice adverts for replacement bearings. That doesn't bode well.
"The bearing roars a bit"
No such issues with the 3 Raven centrepins I use. The 5" Raven Matrix I've had for about 10 years is still on it's original bearings with no signs of wear.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:02 am Looking at sales of the Raven, I notice adverts for replacement bearings. That doesn't bode well.
"The bearing roars a bit"
No such issues with the 3 Raven centrepins I use. The 5" Raven Matrix I've had for about 10 years is still on it's original bearings with no signs of wear.
That's good to hear, maybe it was just Google being over-efficient.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”