How old is the Seldex ?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
DWW
Grayling

How old is the Seldex ?

Post by DWW »

I wonder if anyone could assist me please ?
I have a few Seldex reels in my collection and they appear to differ in colour ( grey and black ) and in the makers name and model badge. I checked the "JW Youngs" history site which although it fully describes the Seldex it does not give the dates of manufacture or any model changes.
I like the Seldex and and would like to know a bit more about it .
Cheers !
DWW

DWW
Grayling

Re: How old is the Seldex ?

Post by DWW »

Sorry I forgot to ask about whether it would be possible to create a plastic insert for the Seldex to reduce the line capacity and the need for yards and yards of backing ? I assume that as the reel was designed as a bit of an all-rounder it had a large capacity for both spinning and fly fishing uses ?

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

I just found the post by Tengisgol on a cork arbour and how to build it . But as a technical DIY idiot that may be going too far !

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

According to my copy of Elwin Attwoods excellent book.
The Seldex was made between 1949 and 1964. Earlier reels were gunmetal coloured, later reels were black or beige.
The earlier versions were in 3 3/4" dia x 15/16" between plates only but later versions were also available in 3 1/2" x 5/8" and 4 1/2" x 15/16"

Wal.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

The Seldex is one of my favourite reels to use when I go stalking carp. It is so strong and robust being able to take quite a bit of battering, also it is able to hold a decent amount of strong line.

It is an updated version of the pre-war Pattern Number Nine reel.

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Thanks ! I just checked inside one of the reels and it has 4/64 stamped on the back plate ( inside) next to the ratchet . Is that a part number or likely date ? I will check the others and see if it changes !
I have seen one of the 41/2 inch reels at a tackle fair . Shame I didnt add it to the collection .
I am in agreement with Ambidexman that they make great reels for carp , and I have used mine for pike . You can cast off the reel too using your thumb as a brake !( Just dont mis-judge it !)
DWW

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

I checked my other reels and they dont have a number stamp on the back plate .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It is a date stamp month and year but not all reels had it, i have only seen sixties reels with the stamp. Usually trudex or rapidex reels.

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Just had a look inside my battered old Seldex just out of interest and on the inner part of spool is stamped JWY 323.. any ideas please.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Reedling wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm Just had a look inside my battered old Seldex just out of interest and on the inner part of spool is stamped JWY 323.. any ideas please.
I think that's the part number for ordering a new spool. Often seen on Ambidex spools etc.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”