Ambidex Nylon spool.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Ambidex Nylon spool.

Post by Delaminated »

I picked up this rather nice Ambidex Casting reel that was included with a near mint Felton 3 on the Bay of good hope about eight years ago.
ImageImageImageImage

I replaced the line on the Ambidex , that came with an unusual spare spool, and tucked it away for the start of the new season.

Mysteriously, the reel slipped from my attention, but a sudden fixation on the Mitchell 300 and its variants at that time promoted by “guesting” on the TFF could have had some responsibility for that.

The current lock down, with my early signs of cabin fever, has led to the reel being unearthed, and a closer look taken at the spare spool.
I have never seen one like it, but some Ambidex buffs may know more about spool oddities.
I have stated the spool is nylon, but it could be delrin or another plastic.
There is no name, number or symbol on the spool, but it fits the reel and works perfectly.

Regards Tom.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Ambidex Nylon spool.

Post by Penninelad »

I think the Edgar Sealey Flocast (made by Youngs)had a similar spool. Does it split in two?
Mark Davies

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi Mark,
The white body of the spool appears to be a one piece molding that does not separate.
The material seems to be more dense than the grey spool type found on the Delmatic or Flocast.

Regards Tom.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Nice spool and cabin fever abounds :tea:
niceroach

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

This is my Ambidex Nylon spool

As you can see in the pic,s my one has the Part No JWY 525/N etched into the underside.

I messaged Rupe AKA Ambidexman and he told me they could be made by JW Young employee by the name of Alwyn Laugher.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi LJM,
The spools looks much the same, but my one has no part number.
There seems to be quite a few odd pieces of Young’s reel parts about, I recently sold on aBay an Ambidex folding handle in brown that was about two thirds normal size, never seen one like it.

Regards Tom.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”