Delmatic 2

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Delmatic 2

Post by Delaminated »

I picked up this late Delmatic 2 on the well known auction site last month, pictures are as received.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Someone has been inside obviously, as the two screws on the handle shaft have been swapped and the side plate has a bolt missing.
You can see evidence of blue paint under the black finish of the rotor, and handle the main gear is Tufnol with some nylon discs to sides of that gear.

The reel turns smoothly and all functions work, but the anti reverse has a mind of its own and drops in and out at will.

A good clean and a light lube, a hunt for a spare spool or two and the warming weather will see a trial run at Penshurst or Linton.

Does anybody know how I might fix that annoying anti reverse lever ?

Regards Tom.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Delmatic 2

Post by Penninelad »

I use a pair of these for more distant barbel fishing on the Trent.Very reliable and a very effective drag.One of the reels I have has the same anti reverse switch as yours whilst the other has the same type that was fitted to Ambidex's.
Mark Davies

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I love the quick fold handle on these reels, better than some on more modern reels.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

I forgot to mention that the rotor is made of metal, unlike my two other Delmatics that have rotors formed of a type of nylon composite.

Regards Tom.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a strange one is that......metal rotor and Tufnol gears. We have seen just one before, I think? I think it too had a JW Young badge.

I don't think anyone knows how these came about. Are they the first production run?...yet the reel was seemingly named after the new gear material, Delrin, which this reel hasn't used.......or are they very late version ones using up old parts to save costs?

I'm plumping for the latter........but I bet I'm wrong :-)

I do know that the Delrin and Tufnol gears are machined to a different pitch and are therefore not interchangeable.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

I think this reel was a product of the twilight years of the Ambidex and its variants. Young’s have a history of using and re-using reel components in their production runs.
Imagine a shortage of black Delrin rotors...
So, from the parts bin, a Delmatic body, a blue Ambidex mark 6 rotor and a set of Tufnol gears.A black finish to the rotor and add the relevant axle and spools assembly with the roller bale arm, and we have a more robust mk.2!
This scenario would fit in with Nobby’s view of the last days of the Delmatic.

Regards Tom.

Regards Tom.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Love these reels. I have, erm, several, and when I do use them they are extremely simple to use, service and, in my opinion, they have a really unique look on a cane rod. I hope it brings you many years service.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Delaminated wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:44 am I think this reel was a product of the twilight years of the Ambidex and its variants. Young’s have a history of using and re-using reel components in their production runs.
Imagine a shortage of black Delrin rotors...
So, from the parts bin, a Delmatic body, a blue Ambidex mark 6 rotor and a set of Tufnol gears.A black finish to the rotor and add the relevant axle and spools assembly with the roller bale arm, and we have a more robust mk.2!
This scenario would fit in with Nobby’s view of the last days of the Delmatic.

Regards Tom.

Regards Tom.
I recall once trying a metal rotor and its drive gear in a 'normal' Delmatic. It wouldn't fit, so possibly a different outer diameter? Nothign that couldn't be machined to fit I imagine.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

A quick peek at the reel foot shows traces of blue paint under the Delmatic grey livery, all pointing to a blue Ambidex mk.6 body that has been refinished. I suppose a non- factory tweaker may be at the bottom of this, but the finish with a little wear at the normal places looks original to me.
I do hope my reel is factory and not fake!
This to all intents and purposes ends in an Ambidex mk. 6 repainted and re-badged.
You can see traces of blue in pic. 1 on the foot if you enlarge.

Regards Tom

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Sorry I didn't read all of your original post.

I had a similar issue on some of the Delmatics with the anti reverse and a tap with something tapered and pointy into the rivet to expand it a bit seemed to work.

Other differences to add to Nobbys post, are the anti reverse is a leaf shape on all of mine and protrudes above the body and the grub screw on the end of the handle shaft (left side) is domed too. The full black side on your reel is also not on any of mine.

I'm by no means an expert on these reels so don't take my testimony above the likes of Nobby. Just a casual observation. I'm hoping that what you have there is a special of some sort. Either way its very nice.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”