Repainting a c815

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Repainting a c815

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Beresford wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 pm Some lovely results.

You could use liquid mask for parts like the riveted ends of the line pilers. Wal is the paint you are using sold specifically for wheels?

For masking intricate areas I can recommend Tamiya Tape available on-line. It comes in different widths – I think I use 4mm – it's specifically designed for masking small areas and is a bit more flexible than DIY masking tape. It should be easier to mask the spokes and central hub using this tape.
If I remember correctly, the paint I used on the Aerial was called Autotek. I have looked in the garage for the cans but I think I remember it getting used on some garden brackets.

Wal.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Could I just second what Beresford says about Tamiya Masking Tape (mine is yellow). My experience is with railway modelling, not reels, but it really top notch.

For complex surfaces (say Youngs winding handles) you could try Tamiya Masking Tape for Curves (mine is white). Now, you wont be masking a railway curve but I find it covers complicated surfaces without wrinkles.

I may be wrong but I think 6mm is the narrowest. Any good modelling shop should have it.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

They look new. How many hours from start to finish did it take?

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

What is 'patination paste'?
And would it give a nice lead / antiquey look to a C815 which has had the Dettol treatment?

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”