Young’s JW Heritage

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Tony
Minnow

Young’s JW Heritage

Post by Tony »

Good people on this site I am after some advice please. I have just obtained a JW Heritage for a snip via Gumtree. However I want to give it a little tlc and give it a clean and lube. Not having had one apart before can someone let me know how I remove the spool and give it a touch of oil.

Thx in advance
Tony

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Young’s JW Heritage

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Tony, first the JW Heritage isn't a true pin but has ball bearings that are caspuled. Lubrication shouldn't be necessary therefore. To release the drum there is two features in the front spokes. One is a drum drag (the one with the little circle screw. Opposite side is a lever which operates a fork mechanism. Pull it back towards the drum rim and lift the drum off at the same time. There you have it... :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Tony
Minnow

Post by Tony »

...... thx for getting back to me. So in that case other than a dust off there is nothing to maintain?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Forgive my ignorance but don't you still put a little machine oil on the spindle?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm Forgive my ignorance but don't you still put a little machine oil on the spindle?
You could do that of course - at least the grub screw needs some). Mainly it would help to slide the drum on easier. That said...if the bearing becomes faulty it would become a true pin more or less and any droplet of oil would help prevent wear and tear.
To sum things up: mechanical engineering without oil won't go far would it?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”