Paint for a Rapidex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JohnRichards
Stickleback

Paint for a Rapidex

Post by JohnRichards »

I read a post by someone on here who said that he had touched up an Allcocks Aerial by using a Mazda black paint. I believe that youngs made up Rapidex reels so if they did does anyone know if the paint is the same?

JohnRichards

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Paint for a Rapidex

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi John,
Rust-Oleum "satin black" is a good match and perfect if you decide to paint the full reel. Autotek Satin Black is another good match.

Wal.

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

Thanks Wal. That's great. I also have a light grey one. Any ideas?

John.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

You could take the reel into Halfords and try it against the car touch up paint cans. I found a good match for a Grice and Young reel once. I think it was Ford Stratos Silver, there is bound to be something near enough to it if you are thinking of a full repaint job.

Wal.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've not tried painting a reel but I've painted lots of classic car parts. Most rattle cans are acrylic paint so they won't be at all hard wearing unless protected with a clear coat and they really need an acid etch primer under them. You would get a harder finish by having the reel anodised.

Alternatively you could use cellulose paint. It's hard to find these days and you need a proper spray mask to use the stuff but it stands more chance of staying on the reel than acrylic.

Some years ago I had a fly reel that I think was made by Okuma, it was painted and it got tatty looking very quickly. I soon discovered there was no primer under the black and the finishing was totally unsuitable for a fishing reel.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”